Good Day

Today was launch day for Rose. I posted some pics on Picasa. Have a look at
https://picasaweb.google.com/103725185501852189216/January292013#5839055831767992034
Note upside down middle gudgeon and pintle to keep rudder onboard .

David you must be some pleased she is quite lovely and indeed what a labor of love, congratulations!!! Smartie with Pintle.

David you must be some pleased she is quite lovely and indeed what a labor of love, congratulations!!! Smartie with Pintle.

Truly a “Phoenix Bird” project , Back from the dead and better than new !

Congratulations, just amazing what can be done, once you set your mind on it.

Wishing many Happy Sailing Hours in your future .

David,
She is absolutely beautiful! When I saw the pictures, I thought Cape George had just made a new FC. How long did she take to restore?
Dave

Ahoy Chinadogdave , I don’t know if David would even like to total up the figures , as they would be extensive , but I could guess that his renovation would have been in excess of 5,000 hours in labor , and over $ 100,000.00 in expenses.

A very remarkable thing is that BCC Rose is almost a totally Bronze Hardware Fitted BCC , very “Rare” and one of a kind ! The Bronzes alone must be over $ 20,000.00 at least , before their installation .

So , Gary of BCC Shanti , (Hate’r of SS , Eat Your Heart Out) , as my admiration for all that Bronze is true and genuine , also !

Oh , and a Big Thank You , David , for all the renovating photos you posted on your website .

Dave,
Thank you.

The project took 4 years 5 months. That’s about twice as long as I originally estimated but I had no clue what I was doing when I started. As a result there was a lot of back tracking and re-do’s.

I have owned the boat for 13 years; she was all bronze and in first class condition when hurricane Ike got her in 2008. So from the outset I intended to bring her back to the same standard but with some modifications: a gaff rig, more headroom, no propane and a long pilot berth.

Doug’s labor estimate of 5000 hours is probably pretty close but that’s hours billed by contractors and does not include my time. The 100k cost estimate is not so close. Not sure what I spent total and I don’t want to go back and add it up, but I know it is north of 300k. Again, that’s roughly twice my original estimate. In retrospect I should have ordered a new one from Todd but hey…20 20 hindsight.

I will report back re sailing performance after I put a final tune on the rig and bend on sails next week. She may be a bit tender with all those pretty (heavy) bronze mast bands up high in the rig.

David
Rose 76

David,

Great job on the rebuild. I remember the photos you posted after the storm quite a transformation. When it comes to how much time and money a boat project will require I make my estimate then multiply by two and add a little. This gets me close. When I first got my boat as a bare hull I went and took a bunch of photos of Aloha. While I was there Bernie Jakits of Rogue Wave told me how much it would cost and how long it would take to finish the project. I thought he was way high on his estimate. 6000 hours and I don’t know how much money later he proved to be right on with his estimate. Now you need to go sailing and enjoy.

Eric Pomber

Thistle

For the record, IDUNA is all bronze fitted.

Rod

I baulked at using all bronze and left some ss fittings on board, but where I needed anything else I used bronze, as you know Dave the costs were killing me. One of those days… I may change them.

Hi David, congrats on splashing the “Rose”…looking forward to seeing the Gaff rig on this modern classic. Down the line you might think about adding a Jackyard Topsail.

I put one on my first boat a Jay Benford Design 18 foot canoe yawl as seen in this attachment. It really added a lot in light airs and always received that special attention from discerning eyes.

Looking forward to collaborating on the first Gaff rig Freehand design.

Enjoy bending the sails on and your first sail.

All the best,

Mike Anderson

Freehand Steering System

Hi David, congrats on splashing the “Rose”…looking forward to seeing the Gaff rig on this modern classic. Down the line you might think about adding a Jackyard Topsail.

I put one on my first boat a Jay Benford Design 18 foot canoe yawl as seen in this attachment. It really added a lot in light airs and always received that special attention from discerning eyes.

Looking forward to collaborating on the first Gaff rig Freehand design.

Enjoy bending the sails on and your first sail.

All the best,

Mike Anderson

Freehand Steering System

Picture 1.png