GROCO HEAD

Hi,
My head is gone. I ripped it out the old one and cleaned the space. The old one was Jabsco Headmate. Rebuilt kit didn’t work and I broke the seat.
Westmarine has one Jabsco on sale for $164. Twist “n” Lock. I bought one but it didn’t fit. The width of the lower unit didn’t fit. I returned it.
I saw a nice one made by Groco. (West Marine Cat.GROCO Model HF Manual Head* Model # 2828267) The size seems to be correct. It is $307 at Fawcetts.
I wonder what you guys suggest.
Buy a Groco or go with a 5 gallon bucket. Buck it and chuck it?
I do not want spend more than $500.
Good advice will be rewarded.
Mehmet

CERYAN

That is Jer as in Jerry, Yan as in Yankee

2828267.jpg

i decided to go with a composting head aboard little pearl. initial cost about $1000.00, my decision was driven by a desire to no longer have to deal with holding tank issue,(odors, space,maintenance,available pump outs).

while the installation is complete, the boat will not launch until april, so as of yet i have no real world experience with the operation of the head.

good luck.

a composting head has been installed on little pearl. the unit cost is about $1000.00. the decision was driven by the desire to eliminate the holding tank and it problems (odors,pump out availability, head maintenance)

little pearl will not launch until april, so i don’t have any real world experience with the head.

good luck

a composting head has been installed on little pearl. the unit cost is about $1000.00. the decision was driven by the desire to eliminate the holding tank and it problems (odors,pump out availability, head maintenance)

little pearl will not launch until april, so i don’t have any real world experience with the head.

good luck

good luck

Hi,
That’s a lot of money. I hope it doesn’t disappoint you. But since it is an independent, pump out free unit, why don’t you try it before you launch the boat…
Mehmet

Jo Anne,

I’m very interested in your composting head. We put an Air Head into our Flicka 20, and loved it! We’ve already taken the old Groco (& associated hoses, holding tank, etc) out of our new BCC and will be installing an Air Head this spring before launching.

The Air Head is well worth the money, in my opinion.

Jolie Brise has the head-forward layout. We expect to need to lower the platform that the Air Head sits on, in order to have the cover/bench/step-into-forepeak close and still look good. The cabinetry finish is important to us.

I’ll post results when the project is finished. (If you want to see photos & read a description of the Air Head in the Flicka, go to my blog at www.greatbluemarine.com).

Ellen
BCC Jolie Brise

I am installing a Lavac. The cost is around $500. The system is as simple and powerful as it gets. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet but the reviews are impecable.

drew

ellen,

glad to hear your air head worked well.

the platform on little pearl was removed to accommodate the additional height of the airhead. we gained just about 9" . since i have a falmouth 26 i don’t have the nice cabinetry you will need to adjust for. maybe down the road i’ll work out a top for the head that can double as a work space. another project for another day!

i am attaching a picture of the mushroom vent that was adapted for the air head. it is tied into the original waste fill opening which kept me from needing another hole in the deck.

Hi Drew,
Lavac’s price is closer to what I want to spend. I remember several more people praising it here in this forum.
Even though I like the Air Head I am concerned that it might be a liability when and if I want to sell the boat. I would also have the same problem as “Jolie Brise” because of the head layout. The floor has to be lowered so the bench could close.
My question with Lavac is where do you put the pump?
Any picture will be appreciated.

Mehmet
BBC CERYAN

Mehmet,
I second the Lavac. You can flush TP down it or a horse if you wish. Also will not sink or stink your boat.

I don’t have a photo to show you yet. We are in the process of rebuilding
the entire cabin which has made locating the pump somewhat easier. The one
advantage of the Lavac unit is that there is some flexibility as to where
the pump can be placed. Take a look at the diagrams on the Lavac site.
There are also two different types of pumps available.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

Iduna is fitted with a Lavac Head and Henderson Mark V bilge pump. The only negative to the Lava is the choker valve in the Mark V pump. This needs to be replaced about once every two years. Whale does not sell the valve by itself. One must buy a total rebuild kit. If you contact Henderson, they will sell you a single choker valve. I plan to order at least three this year.

Iduna

Where did you mount the pump? In CERYAN the upper portion of the head unit is open. Kind of V berth. Over the head is the open part of the V. In the installation manual it is suggested that pump should be directly (vertically) above the toilet. But I have just open space there…
How did you solve this issue?

Mehmet

We mounted our Lavac on the stbd side forward of the bulkhead, in what had been a hanging locker. We did not want the “head” midships in full view. This allowed compatible matching of hull curve to porcelan bowl, with the the pump on the bulkhead.
Then upper portion was covered by locker door and lower (protruding ) bowl was boxed in so that it could be easily removed for cleaning. All in all not bad except when on a long port tack!

nathaniel berkowitz, sausalito california

tel: 415 331 3314 fax: 415 331 1854

email:nathanielsf@yahoo.com

— On Thu, 3/24/11, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

Subject: [BCC Forum Post] milhan: Re: GROCO HEAD
To: bccforum@samlmorse.com
Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 4:47 PM

Author: milhan
Username: milhan
Subject: Re: GROCO HEAD
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,10204,10214#msg-10214

Hi Drew,
Lavac’s price is closer to what I want to spend. I remember several more people praising it here in this forum.
Even though I like the Air Head I am concerned that it might be a liability when and if I want to sell the boat. I would also have the same problem as “Jolie Brise” because of the head layout. The floor has to be lowered so the bench could close.
My question with Lavac is where do you put the pump?
Any picture will be appreciated.

Mehmet
BBC CERYAN

Cyrano has a Lavac that has worked perfectly for 11 years !

Yes… But where do you put it? And the pump? The platform (the floor) which it is going to sit is quite small.
If you have any pictures please publish.

CERYAN