Hand Worked Rings in Sails

When I last discussed hand worked rings in sails, Francis Drake thought it was the only way to finish a sail.  My good friend H. Nelson, a sailor in the British Navy, seconded that opinion.  Based on these two recommendations,  IDUNA's sails will be hand finished by this seadog.

BTW, most seadogs are mad.

Rod
S/V IDUNA
Roger:

You Wrote:  "Rod, I fully agree with your comments about hand sewing in the rings.  However, it must be completed with an insert that is pressed over the stitches so the stitching does not chafe through."

I have the eyelets and the tools to set them.  I will complete that step after I hand work all the rings into the sail.  Attached is an image of a completed hand worked ring we did about 2 1/2 years ago.

BTW, the tanbark cloth you saw in the image was made by the same company that made the sails for Nelson's Navy.  Richard Haywards Co., England, has been in the sail cloth business for over 300 years.  This particular cloth is Sunwing Classic and has a UV inhibitor in the sizing of  the cloth.

Rod
S/V IDUNA
Rod, I fully agree with your comments about hand sewing in the rings.  However, it must be completed with an instert that is pressed over the stictches so the stitching does not chafe through.

Roger
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 6:43 AM
Subject: [bcc] Hand Worked Rings in Sails

When I last discussed hand worked rings in sails, Francis Drake thought it was the only way to finish a sail.  My good friend H. Nelson, a sailor in the British Navy, seconded that opinion.  Based on these two recommendations,  IDUNA's sails will be hand finished by this seadog.

BTW, most seadogs are mad.

Rod
S/V IDUNA

My hat is off to you Rod, a fine job.

Roger
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [bcc] Hand Worked Rings in Sails

Roger:

You Wrote:  "Rod, I fully agree with your comments about hand sewing in the rings.  However, it must be completed with an insert that is pressed over the stitches so the stitching does not chafe through."

I have the eyelets and the tools to set them.  I will complete that step after I hand work all the rings into the sail.  Attached is an image of a completed hand worked ring we did about 2 1/2 years ago.

BTW, the tanbark cloth you saw in the image was made by the same company that made the sails for Nelson's Navy.  Richard Haywards Co., England, has been in the sail cloth business for over 300 years.  This particular cloth is Sunwing Classic and has a UV inhibitor in the sizing of  the cloth.

Rod
S/V IDUNA