Harken Mk II roller furling

Because I’m standing my mast up to verticle, I need to shorten my roller furling (Harken Mk II) and replace the fore stay. Does anyone out there have a suggestion on how to fish the new fore stay through the foil without dissasmbling the whole unit? One rigger told me he usually welds the old stay to the new one and pulls it through like that. I don’t have access to welding equiptment on the dock here. Perhaps it’s better to take it apart and inspect for wear? It just seems like a lot of pieces to fall through the dock. The benefit of your experience would be appreciated

The foil is assembled using the red Locktite product, so taking it apart is going to be a pain, and because of wear, you will need to match all the components exactly upon re-assembly.

When I performed this exercise I tied a fishline to the old stay, and then used to fishline attached to the new stay. Obviously, your knotting must not increase the diameter of the stay.

I have the older version of the Harken furler. Some years ago I replaced the wire in the foil without disassembling it. As I recall I simply butted the two wire ends together and secured them with some tape. I was concerned it would get stuck part way through but surprisingly it went through easily with no problems. I think it was probably a single layer of duct tape that I used which slipped right through.

Ron

Bil-

You’ve probably completed your task by now. When I had replaced my rigging, I also replaced the foils (21 years old) and obtained new ones at cost thru Harken. Indeed, there was wear and tear. I think I paid about 300 USD without shipping. Sorry that I hadn’t noted your post sooner.

Tom
“Terrier”

Bil-

You’ve probably completed your task by now. When I had replaced my rigging, I also replaced the foils (21 years old) and obtained new ones at cost thru Harken. Indeed, there was wear and tear. I think I paid about 300 USD without shipping. Sorry that I hadn’t noted your post sooner.

Tom
“Terrier”