Head Hose

I’m into projects again… anchored here in Miami, working and staying put for a while.

One of my first projects is the head rebuild and holding tank hose replacement. It’s been a source of malodorous unpleasantries for months now.

I’ve found the Sealand odorsafe hose seems to come well recommended

The head is out, I’m ready to do a rebuild and order some new hose. Just thought I’d throw it out here for discussion of tips, tricks, thoughts, lessons learned and other anecdotal conversation.

I’m trying to reduce the fittings used in my holding tank hose runs. Lot of 90? elbows I’d like to eliminate. My Jabsco macerator pump output is 1" which is annoying, requires an adapter to get back to 1.5" for seacock fitting. Would like to eliminate that adapter as well. Also the run from toilet to holding tank seems to be extra long and rises a foot or so above the holding tank unnecessarily.

One thing I did find was the floor underneath the head was very well done. Looks to be encapsulated in epoxy, then painted. I figured this came out of the factory that way. Sound right?

Some pics:
Imgur

Hi Ben:

The pipe to the holding tank probably rises above the waterline to prevent siphoning.

ben,

i found the head odors on my previous boat simply put “horrible”. i had odorsafe hoses and used recommended raritan odor control products religiously. in the end that killer order was a result of those marine organisms that died in the intake hoses.

i am hoping to be able to change out the head on “little pearl” with a vacu flush unit. sealand has a couple of new all in one units(vacuum pump and holding tank). that may be small enough for me to make it fit. the advantage is the tank is fed fresh water and eliminates the saltwater intake and its attendant beasties.

that being said,.if such a change is not in the cards, i would use the odorsafe hoses.

good luck

Jo Anne,

What was your previous boat?

island packet 38

The “secret” is to avoid the build up of salt in the hoses. Flushing with fresh water when the boat is left for more than a few days and periodically running and leaving vinegar in the hoses goes a long way to avoiding this. Once the odor gets noticeable, replacing the hoses is the solution. All of this comes from experience. See attached photo of salt/waste build up.
Wayne
BCC Odyssey

The “secret” is to avoid the build up of salt in the hoses. Flushing with fresh water when the boat is left for more than a few days and periodically running and leaving vinegar in the hoses goes a long way to avoiding this. Once the odor gets noticeable, replacing the hoses is the solution. All of this comes from experience. See attached photo of salt/waste build up.
Wayne
BCC Odyssey

Wayne – yeah that sounds like a plan… more fresh water flushing and vinegar. They say Muriatic Acid works too I think. I also have the nasty odor coming from my salt water spicket at the galley sink…same issue as Jo Anne mentions, dead critters. Boo Hoo! It all happened after I left the boat for 2 weeks to fly home for Holidays. Lesson learned: Never leave the boat!