headliner

i need to replace the headliner. the material looks to be a white plastic laminate. is that what is typically used? any better ideas?

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

joanne ross
falmouth cutter 26

Hi Joanne,
I see no-one has replied to you yet, so I might as well step in. Most factory built FCs by SLM had fiberglass imitation tongue and groove panels. I am curious as to why you need to replace them? Are they broken or are you redecorating with wood? The panels should last a lifetime and are easy to clean. Do you have any pictures to help?

Regards,
John V.
FC 39

hi john,

my boat was built by russell yachts. the plastic laminate that was used has become brittle and cracked in places. so…

i would like to see a sample of the 'imitation" tongue and groove in white that you mentioned. i’m kinda partial to white/off white for the headliner. any chance you know the manufacturer/name of the product

best regards,
jo anne ross
fc 26-7

Hi Joanne,
I fully understand why you want to change the liner. I checked through the pictures on the SLM site and I found this one on a BCC that shows what it looks like: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/gallery/album66/BCC_28_21_Main_salon_table_up and also I’ve attached this:

Hi Joanne,
I don’t know if my first answer with the attached picture went through as there is a delay from sending a message and seeing it. When I attached the picture the message went poof so I could not edit it anymore! Anyways these boards where made by SLM (actually Crystaliner for SLM). SLM sold the molds to Cape George Cutter Marine Works, Inc. They could probably make some panels for you.

Regards

John V.
FC39

P.S. If I don’t see my original message with the attached picture in the next hour, I’ll re-post.

hi john,

got the photo. that’s a great look! thanks for jumping in and providing just what i was hoping for.

best regards,
jo anne ross
fc 26-7

Jo Anne - John is correct about Cape George having the manufacturing rights and tooling for the BCC and the FC. They plan to continue manufacturing the BCC, but they estimate the cost of a new FC at almost the same price as the BCC, due to labor, and they do not see a market for a spendy 22 footer. I would guess that if they use the same material in the BCC, you should be able to get some without any issues. A good contact there is …

Todd Uecker
President
Cape George Marine Works, Inc.
1924 Cape George Rd.
Port Townsend, WA 98368
tel: 360.385.3412
fax: 360.385.2467
e-mail: cgmw@olympus.net
www.capegeorgecutters.com

Good luck with this repair.