Info on Texas Marinas

I know there’s a few Texas BCC’s out there…

Wondering if there is a liveaboard community near Houston. Any info on marinas/liveaboard in Houston would be great.

Thanks

There is a liveaboard section at the marina across from where I keep my boat here at The Wharf at Clear Lake. It is located just West of Clear Lake on Clear Creek. There was very little damage to boats here during Hurricane Ike. The slips are individually owned but some can be rented. Watergate Yacht Center also has a liveaboard section as do other marinas. Watergate lost quite a few boats and piers during Ike. Please advise if you need further information.

Doug Beu
s/v Fritha

Thank you for the info on the livaboard situation. I’ve called several places and the biggest problem I am finding is availability of slips and also a min. requirement of 30ft. My boat is 27ft. They say I can’t even pay for a 30ft slip and put my boat there. Apparently its a county-wide rule. I haven’t even begun to ask the price for slips or moorings. Does anyone know a place for a 27ft boat, liveaboard?
Sincerely,
Teresa

Ben,
Where ya gettin 27’ on your length? Most marinas count the overhangs ( 37’ 9" LOA ) on length, hence the beauty of a retractable bowsprit.

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise

I responded to the post with Benji’s account. My boat is a NorSea 27. So sorry about the confusion.
Sincerely,
Teresa

There are boats smaller than 30 feet at the Wharf’s liveaboard section.

Doug Beu
s/v Fritha

Teresa:

The Clear Lake marinas probably base their slip fees on length over spars (LOA) not LOD. At our marina in Baltimore, our slip fee measurement includes 10 ft of air. IDUNA’s LOD is 28 ft. but her length over spars is 38 ft. Minimum slip fee at our marina is based on 37 ft. The slip length is 40 ft. We take up the same room as a 38 ft. boat with an all inboard rig, hence we consider the charge fare. When I haul out, we only pay for 28 ft but 38 ft should we store the boat on the hard.

We sailed out of the Clear Lake area when we lived in Houston (1987-1997). Galveston Bay and the Texas coast are boring compared to New England’s coast and the Chesapeake Bay. If you plan to live-aboard, you will need air conditions. The summers are hot and humid and we do not miss them.

Rod