Maine Lyle Hess Rendezvous

We plan to try to be there with Itchen by Sunday evening or not too
late on Monday, and can stay at least through Tuesday. WIll fit in
with whatever schedule makes most sense for all.
regards,
Scott

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

In the previous posting two boats are hinting that we change Monday/Tuesday to Sunday/Monday. I can work with that. The friend’s island that I am visiting is only 9 nm from Merchant’s Row. I can sail over Sunday late afternoon instead of Monday morning.

Have we selected an island? I’ve seen mention of McGlathery, Hells, and Harbor. The guidebooks list the first two as “very crowded” in high season. The last, Harbor (Merchant’s Harbor in the Taft guide), is simply “crowded”. However, the guides also talk about needing trip lines on your anchor here. You also need to anchor in different places depending upon the wind forecast.

I have never been to any of these places and would love guidance from somebody with experience. However, if pushed to pick myself, I would select Harbor because (1) it is the furthest southwest for people going home after; and (2) the word “crowded” concerns me given that we are adding 5 boats to whatever anchorage we select.

How would this timing change impact the proposed potluck? The best overlap between the old schedule and the new proposal would be something mid-day Monday. More sandwiches on the beach than dinner at the campfire. Any comments?

The weather forecast is for a beautiful weekend followed by a return on Monday to this summer’s typical clouds and showers. Low tide on Sunday is at 6 PM and again at 6:30 on Monday morning. High tide is noon Sunday and 12:30 PM on Monday.

I don’t know if cell phones will work. My number is (spelled out to avoid Internet nastiness):
(six zero three) seven eight one - seven eight seven four
If I have cell coverage, I will see email on the boat. Send to: Craig at Lund dot name

Craig Lund
BCC 95 named Talaris

clund Wrote:

In the previous posting two boats are hinting that
we change Monday/Tuesday to Sunday/Monday. I can
work with that. The friend’s island that I am
visiting is only 9 nm from Merchant’s Row. I can
sail over Sunday late afternoon instead of Monday
morning.

We plan to cruise up from Belfast whenever we manage to get away on Sunday, so might be somewhere around Merchants Row sometime late Sunday, or else Monday morning. We’ll hang around until there’s a quorum and don’t have to leave the area until Wednesday or so. All depends on weather and the plans of others and whatever seems like fun.

Have we selected an island? I’ve seen mention of
McGlathery, Hells, and Harbor. The guidebooks list
the first two as “very crowded” in high season.
The last, Harbor (Merchant’s Harbor in the Taft
guide), is simply “crowded”. However, the guides
also talk about needing trip lines on your anchor
here. You also need to anchor in different places
depending upon the wind forecast.

We’ve cruised through there a few times but there are so many coves and protected areas between the little islands that I certainly can’t consider myself an expert. One has to distinguish between good anchorages in pleasant surroundings where one can easily go ashore and enjoy beach-side rambles, versus good anchorages where if you go ashore you may be intruding on someone’s private island front yard. I don’t really see it as much of a problem, one can poke around and if one place is “crowded”, just move on down the line. My past experience of the place is that “crowded” is a relative term and there really is room for all if one is willing to wait for day-trippers to leave or just move on to another spot.

I have never been to any of these places and would
love guidance from somebody with experience.
However, if pushed to pick myself, I would select
Harbor because (1) it is the furthest southwest
for people going home after; and (2) the word
“crowded” concerns me given that we are adding 5
boats to whatever anchorage we select.

Harbor Island/Merchants Island looks interesting. It’s really not all that far from the others so might be a backup. In my limited experience McGlathery is popular for good reason and can absorb more than a few boats. But, we plan to spend some time poking around to see what looks good and has been left out of the cruising guides.

How would this timing change impact the proposed
potluck? The best overlap between the old
schedule and the new proposal would be something
mid-day Monday. More sandwiches on the beach than
dinner at the campfire. Any comments?

Sounds ok with us, sandwiches, campfire, either (or both). we can fit in with anything scheduled for not-to-early Monday, or anytime Tuesday. Anyone want to bring a musical instrument? We’ll have banjo & penny whistle.

The weather forecast is for a beautiful weekend
followed by a return on Monday to this summer’s
typical clouds and showers. Low tide on Sunday is
at 6 PM and again at 6:30 on Monday morning. High
tide is noon Sunday and 12:30 PM on Monday.

I don’t know if cell phones will work. My number
is (spelled out to avoid Internet nastiness):
(six zero three) seven eight one - seven eight
seven four
If I have cell coverage, I will see email on the
boat. Send to: Craig at Lund dot name

Craig Lund
BCC 95 named Talaris

I suspect cellphone will be spotty there, though we have reasonably good luck with Verizon near major Maine towns. Otherwise we can be reached via SSB Sailmail. It is WDB9885 at sailmaildotcom. Once in the area we ought to be able to find each other using VHF since the distances are not great.
Scott

OK. I’m happy to take the advice. Target McGlathery. Call on VHF 16 when we get into the area to see if the fleet has moved elsewhere.

Hi All

Teresa and I are in Bar Harbor right now. We actually stayed at McGlathery on the way up, on the south side between Round and McGlathery… there were a few boats on the NW side of McGlathery that night, but not many… there are so many spots right there… East side, West side, South side…etc… there’s plenty of options I think.

Not sure we’ll be able to make Sunday night, Monday afternoon is about the earliest we can be there. If things change, we’ll be there earlier. This might be the only time I get online, so VHF is the best way, since cell is spotty. Although, I think it worked well at Mc Glathery (sprint)

Boat name is DAPHNE… cell #631-463-6904
I’ll try calling on 16 when we’re on our way, and close enough.

Hope to see you all there

Talaris, Itchen, and #36 (name?) - any others?

Talaris will appear at McGlathery on Monday morning, hopefully well before lunch.
Here is the roster:
NOR’SEA “Daphne” crewed by owner of BCC #91 1990 Elizabeth (Ben Eriksen) Monday afternoon arrival
BCC #95 1991 Talaris (Craig Lund) Monday morning arrival
BCC #36 1978 Dawn B. (Jonathan Fulford) Unknown arrival, Monday departure
BCC #73 1985 Itchen (Scott Odell) Sunday evening arrival
26’ BCC ‘Osprey’ (Bennett Verbeck) Sunday arrival, Monday departure
Potluck lunch on the beach Monday. Hopefully Daphne will make it.

Teresa, Dory (her cat) and I are going to do our best to get there before lunch on Monday…let’s hope for favorable winds!

• The Daphne Crew (in Ellsworth)

I understand that 4 boats got together on Monday morning. I lost my impeller on Sunday night. I spent the night near Brimstone. The spare I carried did not fit. I spent Monday morning boat hitchhiking to Vinalhaven to catch the Rockland ferry. I literally ran to the Yanmar dealer to get the part and return on the same ferry. I ultimately made it to McGlathery a few hours after you all departed. Oh well. Next time I will open the little Yanmar parts bags and look at the spare parts before storing them.

Well we sure missed you Craig!

Here’s some pics from the get-to-gether as well as some pics of our trip to Maine aboard Teresa’s Nor’sea ‘Daphne’.

Bennet on Osprey, and Teresa and I had a glorious sail together after the gam split up and we then anchored in Carvers Cove (Vinalhaven) for dinner and libations. So we got some nice underway pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BenEriksen/DaphneMaine2008