Maine Lyle Hess Rendezvous

Hey folks,
I was wondering if there is interest in a rendezvous in Maine this summer? There will be three Hess boats based in Belfast this summer and sounds like some other boats coming through Penobscot Bay. I propose mid August as a starting point, if any of the rumored visiting boats want to chime in with their plans and timing lets see what can work out.
Jonathan
BCC# 36

I’ll be sailing up for a wedding August 16th in Lamoine (just south of Ellsworth on the way to MDI - Frenchman Bay side). I can’t leave until August 11th, and will head directly to the wedding to arrive around the 14/15th. I’m free to meet up anytime after the 17th, and plan to stick around for at least a few weeks. I planned to head east and get to Machias at least, but would love to rendezvous, wherever.

Of course this all assumes I actually get the boat wet this year!

Jonathan,
I’ll be attending a canoe building class in Brooklin Maine the week of July 20-26 and will have the 27th and 28th open. While Odyssey is in SF Bay, I would enjoy meeting up and taking a look at any of the BCCs in Maine.
Wayne
BCC Odyssey

Hi Wayne,
You are welcome to visit us and check out our BCC, it is a work in progress.
email me at jonathan.fulford@gmail.com for directions and timing. We are not that far from Broklin, about an hour drive.
Jonathan
BCC#36

My boat will spend this summer in Maine. I’m sailing it up on Friday. I have a slip at Maine Yacht Center in Portland. I can have the boat anywhere in Maine in July or August that a rendezvous occurs. Just give me a little notice. I am happy to help with planning.

Craig Lund
BCC 95
Durham, NH

I hope to be around in August assuming there is an air carrier still charging reasonable prices, otherwise I’ll have to mortgage the boat to pay for the air fare. I’ll keep all posted nearer the time.

Scott Odell mentioned the Seven Seas Cruising Association is having a gam on August 1st and 2nd at Islesboro ME, maybe something around then?

Jonathan

It is looking like a long shot for me at this time folks, I have been delayed in the finishing of 126, had hoped to merge a boat review with some vacation, but at this time there is little to see in boat construction. If this changes I’l be in touch.

Anyone post this on the Nor’sea forum? Our 27’ Lyle Hess friends might be interested. I know of at least one Nor’sea in Maine, he’s up in Blue Hill Bay. Since I don’t think Elizabeth will be ready by then, I’m sailing with my friend Teresa on her Nor’sea to Maine for a wedding. Departing Marblehead MA round August 10th, bound for Wheeler Bay, then Lamoine.

-Ben

This thread seems stalled. I will visiting a friend’s island off of Vinalhaven the weekend of August 16 and 17. I can meet up anywhere in the Penobscot region just after that. The boat usually lives in Casco Bay so I meet up there almost anytime.

Well we’re up for a get-to-gether right after that weekend too. Monday/Tuesday would be ideal for us. How about Pulpit Harbor, Bucks Harbor (Brooksville), or somewhere in Merchants Row?

Who else is around? Can people do this in the early part of the week, or does it need to be a weekend for the Maine-Belfast Guys (Itchen, Jonathon etc)?

-B

Any of those places work for me. I will pencil the dates in and see how this thread develops. I’ll be silent until Sunday (going sailing today).

benjiwoodboat Wrote:

Well we’re up for a get-to-gether right after that
weekend too. Monday/Tuesday would be ideal for us.
How about Pulpit Harbor, Bucks Harbor
(Brooksville), or somewhere in Merchants Row?

Who else is around? Can people do this in the
early part of the week, or does it need to be a
weekend for the Maine-Belfast Guys (Itchen,
Jonathon etc)?

-B

Any of that might work for us. We have a musical event on the 16th and visitors arriving around the 20th and the Bangor Folk Festival the next weekend, so Monday-Tuesday would be best if it is to be that week. Castine/Smith Cove could be another possibility, protected, quiet and convenient to facilities, but another easy day’s sail towards the head of Penobscot Bay.
Scott

Yeah Castine is nice too…Guess we just need to pick a spot and hope the winds are favorable…I’m going to be heading back to MASS right after this, so staying south is better for me, but i’m flexible.

Glad to hear Mon/Tues works for you Scott…anyone else?

I think I can pull Monday/ Tuesday off, I’m under some work pressure so I can’t be too sure at this point. Merchant’s Row is beautiful, I’d need to look closer at the charts for a good spot, but I’ll go were ever folks want.
Jonathan

It looks like consensus is building around Monday and Tuesday, August 18 and 19. I see one vote for Merchant’s Row and one vote for “south”. I think Merchant’s Row counts as south. I’ll be in the south myself so Merchant’s Row also works for me. The open question is if Itchen can make it to Merchant’s Row as Scott was lobbying for Castine.
Let me propose an agenda.

• Arrive on Monday
  • Potluck Monday evening on the beach. Anybody have an island to suggest for that?
  • Boat tours Tuesday after breakfast
  • Depart Tuesday or Wednesday depending upon your schedule
    We appear to have 4 boats:
    BCC #91 Elizabeth (Ben Eriksen) but maybe on Teresa
    BCC #95 Talaris (Craig Lund)
    BCC #36 (Jonathan Fulford)
    BCC #73 Itchen (Scott Odell)
    How many people does that make for the proposed potluck? Talaris will carry my wife and I.
    If you participate in the Nor’sea forum, feel free to cross post this thread. I don’t monitor that forum myself.
    Craig

clund Wrote:

It looks like consensus is building around Monday
and Tuesday, August 18 and 19. I see one vote for
Merchant’s Row and one vote for “south”. I think
Merchant’s Row counts as south. I’ll be in the
south myself so Merchant’s Row also works for me.
The open question is if Itchen can make it to
Merchant’s Row as Scott was lobbying for Castine.

Not really lobbying, just put it out as another possibility. Actually I think Dottie and I might prefer getting a bit farther from home, so Merchants Row has much appeal.

Let me propose an agenda.

• Arrive on Monday

That would work for us.

• Potluck Monday evening on the beach. Anybody
    have an island to suggest for that?

McGlathery is the most obvious choice – owned by a nature group and entirely open to rambling around, has a good beach and fires and picnicking are allowed so long as nothing is left behind. Nearby Round Island is also open to the public but like the rest of the islands in the area, no fires allowed. Good anchorage between McGlathery and Round, lots of room. There are a couple of good anchorages between Camp, Devil and Bold but the shore-going opportunities are probably better at McGlathery. That comes at a price – it is popular for good reason and I would advise getting there early in the day to make sure of a good spot to anchor. It’s been a few years since we’ve been there so if anyone has more recent info please sing out.

• Boat tours Tuesday after breakfast
  • Depart Tuesday or Wednesday depending upon your
    schedule
    We appear to have 4 boats:
    BCC #91 Elizabeth (Ben Eriksen) but maybe on
    Teresa
    BCC #95 Talaris (Craig Lund)
    BCC #36 (Jonathan Fulford)
    BCC #73 Itchen (Scott Odell)

I wonder if Bennett Verbeck and his recently relaunched and refurbished 26’ BCC ‘Osprey’ now moored at Belfast might come. Bennett, are you there?

How many people does that make for the proposed
potluck? Talaris will carry my wife and I.
If you participate in the Nor’sea forum, feel free
to cross post this thread. I don’t monitor that
forum myself.
Craig

All for now, and looking forward to it.
Scott

Mc Glathery is a really nice spot. When I sailed the schooners, we used a few other of the less known islands for lobster bakes, but I can’t recall the names, and will have to take a look at the chart. If I can figure out what Islands we used to use, I’ll post them up here for consideration. But if not, Mid August will be crowded I reckon at McGlathery…so if we’re late, save us a spot :slight_smile:

I won’t be on Elizabeth (She’s FAR from ready), but will be sailing WITH my GF, Teresa on her NOR’SEA named “Daphne” (we both got a chuckle reading, “but maybe on Teresa” - ooh la la!)

Looking forward to it!

The other island was Hells Half Acre, and also Harbor Island.

We should be able to make our way into Merchants Row around 3-4pm on Monday – hows that sound?

I talked to Bennet yesterday, they are headed out for a sail right now and will be returning on Sunday. Jen has to be back on Tuesday so they will try and be in Merchants row on Sunday and Monday during the day, but heading out to be back in Belfast by Monday night. He will call my cell as it gets closer to find out the particulars.
I may be needing to be back on the job by Tuesday as well.
Jonathan