Mast rake

I am getting ready to cut new rigging on my FC22 I dont have any current rigging to measure by. Does anybody have these measurements? Also I am looking for some ideas on mast rake. Lastly Does anyone know the boom length? Alan

Hi Alan,

The measurements I have for a standard 30’4" mast are as follows:

Headstay 7/32 32’ 2 1/4"
Backstay 7/32 32’ 9"
Staysail Stay 7/32 22’ 9"
Upper Shrouds 7/32 29’ 8"
Intermediate 7/32 22’ 7 3/4"
Lower Shrouds 7/32 14’ 7"
Bobstay 1/4 5’ 5 1/2"
Whisker Stay 1/4 9’ 11 1/2"
Boomkin Stay 7/32 4’ 1 1/2"

These are taken directly from the FC22 Sailplan.

Regards,
John

Hi Alan,

The last post got away from me before I could try to answer your other questions.

The boom length is 12’ 3" to the very end and 11’ 10" to the boom bail.

Regarding mast rake, there are a few articles in the FC News that discuss this:

In Newsletter one, June 1981:
“Lyle designed the boat to have 30 inches of mast rake. Lyle has
told me that he likes to rake his masts because that way an owner can tune in any helm he wants.Lyle likes a positive helm for several good reasons, which include
better feeling and forcing you to sail right on. When Sam cut the
rigging for my boat we decided to put 18 in. of rake in it. This was
based on my experiences on the earlier Nor?Sea 22 with the full 30 in.
rake and Lyle?s input. I did not purchase the standard Elliot battenless
main on my boat. I have a very positive roach on my main with
medium battens for better down wind performance…”

I hope this helps,

John

John, thank you so much. I have a new to me boat in pieces and starting the process of putting her back together. Alan

Adventure has just ventured out of the marina last weekend after the sanding and varnishing marathon !
When originally stepping the mast, I had - without thinking - placed the mast in the centre of the partners, and tensioned the rig.
I sailed like this for a year, and had quite severe weather helm at times.

I had always wondered about finding the waterline groove and following the mast rake set up instructions published by Roger Olson, but was not sure of the waterline groove position as it has been overpainted.
Using a plum bob without knowing whether the boat is trimmed level is a waste of time!

Anyway to cut a long story short, I contacted John, the previous owner who told me that when he took over the boat, the mast was only about a quarter of an inch from the front of the partners.
Of course this depends on the placement of the mast foot, but I didn’t want to start playing with that, so during the varnishing period, I moved the mast forward as he advised.

What a difference!
I would have expected the weather helm to reduce, and it has, but I thought the payoff for that would be a tendency for the boat not to point as well, since the centre of effort had moved forwards.
Not at all!

I have been sailing for several months with a Jib-Top foresail, which had always had a rather loose foot.
During the varnishing layoff from sailing, I had a tensioning line sewn into the foot, and this has improved the setting shape of the sail.
Despite this improvement, I am convinced that the boat is sailing in a much more balanced, lively and responsive way as a result of the mast adjustment.

At the Tuesday night pursuit race at the Dubai Offshore Sailing Club, she was holding her own against boats that normally would have shown her a disappearing transom.

Mike
BCC Adventure Hull # 79

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BCC-Adventure/219613894739597

After doing a message search on “mast rake” I unknowingly entered the FC forum, and posted the above.
Sorry for the confusion!