measuring deadrise

i am purchasing a new depth/speed transducer.
i roughly measured the deadrise angle at the location of the transducer

i am purchasing a garmin. i need to choose between “less than 12deg” and “12-24deg”. my preliminary measurement is roughly 25deg 'ish. so it appears to me to choose the latter. i am not feeling confident and don’t want to make a mistake.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

best regards
jo anne ross
falmouth cutter 26-7

My BCC’s factory installed depth transducer sits at a roughly 30 degree angle, two feet below the water line. They installed a 24 degree tilt unit (B19-20). In theory my depth sounder should be showing the water as a little deeper than it actually is. However, remember that sailboats heel. Being off by 6 degrees is not that important on a boat that heels.

The part of the transducer that sticks up into the boat is in a storage area and is protected by a fiberglassed-in box with a Plexiglas top.

Note most of the transducers come from http://www.airmartechnology.com/
no matter which brand sells it to you.

I can’t confirm your measurments on a Falmouth cutter but they feel right to me.

Craig
BCC Talaris

Joe Anne:

Welcome to the forum. We just returned from a 2-week trip on Chesapeake Bay - 350 nm total.

I will assume when you referred to your boat as a Falmouth 26-27 you referenced the length over deck measurement and not length over spars. If that is the case, there were only about 8 production hulls/boats produced by the company located in either North or South Carolina. We visited Quetzal in Houston, Tx and the late AO Halsey’s boat when he and Lindie where cruising the Chesapeake Bay. The Falmouth 26 is a sweet boat and in our opinion has a nicer shear than the BCC.

Have you posted any photos at the gallery?

Cheers,

Rod
BCC IDUNA

rod

she was the last of the seven falmouth cutters russell yachts built. she was mr. russell’s boat.

for me it was the shear that did it. everytime i walk by, it makes me smile. sweet, sweet view!

best regards,
jo anne ross
falmouth cutter 26-7

Jo Anne:

Attached are two pictures of the late AO Halsey’s boat Polaris Jack. AO passed away last year while making a passage from the Bahamas to Florida. AO was an excellent sailor and superb seaman. I miss him and think of him often.

Fair Winds,

Rod

Jo Anne:

What model Garmin did you purchase? The current depth transducer in IDUNA is mount about 3/4th the length of the boat aft of the bow. This does not give us much warning when we enter thin water before we are aground. Yep, I stuck the boat once on this trip. I am thinking about mounting another depth sound on the boat this winter. The transducer would be mounted forward of the mast. One depth sounder would read clearance below the keel and the second depth sounder would read total depth of water.

Fair Winds,

Rod

We installed a forward sounding sonar made by Interphase of Santa Cruz CA. This allows you to see forward and down to the depths. Its a good system but the downside is that it requires an external probe attached to the hull and is a go-slow add-on. Life is a compromise! Results are on a well sized screen. A better location might have been on the bow like the ocean going vessels with a bulb???

Author: IDUNA
Username: IDUNA
Subject: Re: measuring deadrise
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,8278,8289#msg-8289

Jo Anne:

What model Garmin did you purchase? The current depth transducer in IDUNA is mount about 3/4th the length of the boat aft of the bow. This does not give us much warning when we enter thin water before we are aground. Yep, I stuck the boat once on this trip. I am thinking about mounting another depth sound on the boat this winter. The transducer would be mounted forward of the mast. One depth sounder would read clearance below the keel and the second depth sounder would read total depth of water.

Fair Winds,

Rod

rod,

i am looking at a garmin smart transducer that does both speed and depth. it may not work on my boat. i’ve asked an electronics guy to take a look and evaluate the situation. it’s a new design. sometimes that can be a problem. so. we’ll see.

as for the two trandsducers you propose-i usually set the offset feature to read what water i’ve got below the keel. that way if i want to know water depth i just add the offset back in. do you have an offset feature on your depth sounder?

as for the pictures- thanks!lovely boat.
my condolensces on the loss of your friend.

best regards,
jo anne ross
falmouth cutter 26-7