Navigation (of the new Forum, that is . . . )

Kudos to Jeremy & Nica and John Cole, and of course to Sumio for setting up this new BCC forum venue. Very attactive and much less aggravating than Yahoo.

I do have some forum navigation & access questions. If the answers are already out there somewhere in previous postings or the FAQ, my apologies.

1. Is there a way to set the view so that instead of getting page after page of previous posts arranged by thread, one can get a page view arranged by order of post, with the newest message always at the top, then the next-newest, etc? WIth the fast search utility one can always find previous topics with little difficulty and being able to view postings arranged by order of arrival can be convenient.

2. Is there a way to get the newest post sent or forwarded directly to one’s email address insted of getting only a notification that one or another “followed thread” is available for viewing by logging on to the Forum’s site? That can be a minor hassle when using a slow dialup internet connection.

3. How does one upload and add a photo to the “signature”?

At the moment Dottie & I are cooling our heels on board Itchen at Ocean Marine marina in Norfolk, waiting for the sun to get a bit higher and warm things up enough to ease the task of getting some new AGM batteries on board and snugged-down in the battery box. Installed a new starter & solenoid last night and will rebuild the old one to keep as a spare. We plan to keep on moving her towards Florida as schedule & weather windows permit, next leg to Morehead City end of next week, weather permitting.

Scott

jso Wrote:

1. Is there a way to set the view so that instead
    of getting page after page of previous posts
    arranged by thread, one can get a page view
    arranged by order of post, with the newest message
    always at the top, then the next-newest, etc?
    WIth the fast search utility one can always find
    previous topics with little difficulty and being
    able to view postings arranged by order of arrival
    can be convenient.

In the default view, you get a list of thread subjects; the threads are not expanded; so you have 1 row per thread. This list is sorted by date of last post - so essentially you always have the most recently active threads at the top of the list. On the right hand side of this list, you have a something that says “Last post by jso” (or whoever made the last post to the thread). If you click on the “Last post” link you will be taken to the the last post in the thread - so you don’t have to browse through all of the older postings in this thread; but you are free to scroll up in to the previous/older postings. These are the defaults - which you can over-ride in your “My Control Center > Options > Forum Settings”.

1. Is there a way to get the newest post sent or
    forwarded directly to one’s email address insted
    of getting only a notification that one or another
    “followed thread” is available for viewing by
    logging on to the Forum’s site? That can be a
    minor hassle when using a slow dialup internet
    connection.

Unfortunately, that is not currently possible. I’m researching options on this.

1. How does one upload and add a photo to the
    “signature”?

First you must create a suitable small image on your PC using whatever photo editing software you have. By suitable, I mean you have to resize it to a maximum of 100 x 100 pixels. Then click on “My Control Center > My Files > Edit My Files”. Upload your picture using the Browse and Submit buttons. Then go to “My Control Center > Personal Profile > Edit My Avatars”. Give your “Avatar” a label and click Save.

Regards,
Jeremy

A little photo editing help, please. I seem to be able to reduce the pixel size of a photo by the ‘byte’ size remains the same and thus won’t load as an avatar. I have PhotoSuite and windows ‘paint’ program but can’t seem to get the byte size down. Suggestions?

Thanks

Image resizing:

How many pixels per inch is the original image? For web work there is a standard of 72 pixels per inch - that’s about the least you can get away with without losing considerable quality.

So: First reduce your image to 72 Pixels per inch (That will make it maller anyway) and then change the image size to 100 pixels on the longest edge. (Make sure constrain proportions is turned on so that both edges resize.)

If you can’t get it to work, send the original to info@coledata.com and I will do it for you.

Regards
John

For John or Jeremy,
Is there a way to use an alias instead of the user ID I set when first signing up for this forum? Specifically in my case, “Itchen” instead of “jso”? Or should I just sign off the list and then rejoin as “Itchen”? I checked the “Control Panel” and did not see “change ID” or “add an alias” as an option – only “Change Password”.
Thanks, Scott

The requested change has been made, same P/W

Regards
John