New Owner - Waxwing

New electrical setup, Ive decided to simplify the system and go with ONE HUGE DL 560 AH DAUL PURPOSE BATT instead of 2 200Ah and a dedicated start. I will just carry a portable start battery for back up.

This system will be charged by a 250 amp Electromaax remote rectified alternator with an external regulator and also protected by a Sterling Alternator Protector. Also solar panels will be added. The 560 AH should allow me to run the AC thru the night and still use my Nespresso machine for morning cappachinos.

I am also adding a Electromaax 10 GPH water maker.

New Diagram…

Disregard this…
This is a partial schematic, but before it gets too busy, I wanted to run the basic setup by the crowd. Big picture - House bank connected to alternator, start batt to starter and charged by DC-DC charger. All batteries are LiFePO4, the starter batt is a dual purpose crank batt.

System - 3X 200 Ah Dakota LifePo4 House Batteries connected to the 120 Amp Mahle Alternator via Lynx Power Distribution. 1X 60 Ah Dakota Li 1000CCA Starter Batt connected to the Starter (+) and Block (-), charged via DC-DC Victron Orion XS 50amp charger. The alternator will be protected from overheating by using a Wakespeed 500 external regulator and protected from BMS shutoff with a Sterling Alternator Protector.

Question - As you can see from the schematic, I have the Lynx Distribution Bus connected to the engine block for common ground AND I also have the Engine Start Batt connected to the engine block common ground, NOT the Lynx Distribution Ground.

Reasoning is keep the start circuit on big cables and short run. The DC DC charger can accept a max of 4 awg negative.

Is this ok, or have I created two paths to common ground for the system?

1 Like

Hi I’m not a BCC owner but I own a Coolblue system on my Pacific Seacraft Orion (27’) and have supplied several systems to YT channels in a co-op promotional arrangement with Coolblue. So I am very familiar with the systems. I think there maybe some misunderstanding about the power consumption of the system. Coolblue’s use about 3-3.5 amps when running. The cycle time, that is how much it is running is dependent on the box insulation/seal and environment your boat is in. At the very worst if the compressor was on 100pct of the time (very unlikely) you would be using 3-3.5 amps per hour. So overnight say 8 hours it would be about 24 amps total. With your large bank you could run your refer for weeks barring other large loads and no replenishment. On my boat I have 560 Watts of solar and I am completely energy independent in the tropics with other large loads like water maker and complete electronics suite including radar. You are doing an incredible job on the rebuild of the boat! Best of luck, Ben S/V DAWN

Progress has been made…

After filling in around the stern tube with thickened epoxy, it is topped with multiple layers of biaxle…

Then a lid out of marine ply, with holes to pour expanding foam, making sure gaps have been filled on all around…

After the foam is poured and set, everything is glassed together with biaxle…

Time to set the engine in and see how it lines up, fingers crossed…

Success!!..

Alignment is damn near perfect!

Im using Sherwin Williams Tile Clad 2 epoxy paint…

Time to start rebuilding the cabinetry, it will 1. provide good access, 2. be easily removable , 3. function as stairs…

![IMG_9130|375x500]
(upload://sGcnCUj5BcMIHeDW5xoJyFsAkfz.jpeg)

Checking measurements for new shaft, Putting an EWOL 16" prop on…

Existing Monel tank with now be the back up tank, putting new fuel tank in bilge…

Vetus wet exhaust muffle is suppose to be super quiet…

Area on side of engine will house Victron Shunt, Distro bus, Victron Inv/Charger, MPPT, and remote rectified alternator from Electromaax…

Florida is now hot for the year…

3 Likes

Looking great! You’re making quick progress. What is the v groove material you are using on the cabinetry faces? Is that frp or mdf material?

It’s just MDF Ship Lap 1/8” from Home Depot, well epoxied to protect, especially the edges.

Cape George does have a FRP product they use, he said he can roll it up and ship also.

The counter top will be a piece Hickory.

1 Like