Paint new Yanmar?

I have taken delivery of my new engine, a Yanmar 3YM30. The engine is sittings in my garage and I’m taking the opportunity to get acquainted with it. It has numerous steel parts and fasteners that are unpainted (e.g. raw water pump bracket; starter solenoid). I think it might be a good idea to prime/paint these items before I get the engine in the boat. Otherwise, I think rust will set in promptly. Seems nuts to be painting a new engine. Has anyone else taken this approach? Or confirmed that sure enough, lots of stuff will rust? Any recommended paint? spay can of “Yanmar Gray”? Or spray cold galvanizing? or zinc chromate or some other primer?

Cheers,
Jeremy

It would seem that you have received a recent marinized engine, Just prime/paint the raw parts; just ensure that the finish coat is the same paint as used by Yanmar. also ensure, before you spray, that all air vents are masked.

Jeremy:

I used engine paint to paint the Sabb parts on the engine. No primer was used, per the directions but I did wipe the part with either denatured alcohol or acetone. I painted the new engine head and silencer with two coats in this fashion with great success.

Granted Yanmar dull grey would match the rest of the engine but engine paint is available at an auto parts store for $6 a spray can.

Jeremy:

I used engine paint to paint the Sabb parts on the engine. No primer was used, per the directions but I did wipe the part with either denatured alcohol or acetone. I painted the new engine head and silencer with two coats in this fashion with great success.

Granted Yanmar dull grey would match the rest of the engine but engine paint is available at an auto parts store for $6 a spray can.