learned from all of you. I am hoping some of you may have had
experience with painting your hulls yourselves can give me some
advice. I have hauled out Kiokorangi and am hoping to paint both the
bottom and the top portion of her hull this time, since the elements
have deterirated her gleem. I would like to paint the hull myself and
would like to know your opinion on LPU paints as well as other
possibilities. What is the best product to use and how should I go
about applying it? Thenks all

Practical Sailor has conducted a number of tests on boat paints – specifically, paints suitable for topside and decks.  Recommend you go to their website and order back copies.  As I recall, the first test was conducted last year and an update to their test was contained in a recent edition, as in the last month or so.

Sincerely,
John Stone

Thanks John, I will check out Practical Sailor

to bcc Kiokorangi:
I painted my hull 4 years ago with very good results. I used US
Paint’s product (allgrip). I applied 2 coats of apoxy primer after
thouroughly sanding the hull with 220 grit wet-dry sandpaper. The
primer went on easily. Not a fussy job. After a couple of days to dry,
I sanded the hull again with 220 grit. Applying the allgrip is a two-
man job. One man to roll on the allgrip. The other to lightly “tip”
the paint with a foam brush. You should use a special 5 or 6 inch
roller (West marine carries them) You should buy several as the 2 part
Allgrip paint will dry on the rollers after 10 or 15 minutes
(depending on the temp and humidity). Also have a lot of foam brushes
on hand.

I am sure you may have questions. If you would like to call me, I
could give you more spacific instructions. I live in northern Michigan
(Eastern time) I am retired, so call anytime.

Larry Heitman (Dilkara)

Wow, Kiokorangi was the first BCC I sailed when her Australian owners brought her to the San Francisco Bay area back in the late '70's. 'Long time passing', as the song goes.

Our own boat hull #22 was in the mold at the time. As I recall, Kickorangi was the first boat Sam Morse completed for an owner and did it for a cost plus 10 percent. Came in around $72K I believe, including literally everything from anchors or dishes.

Our original gelcoat was still in fair shape in '93 when I decided to paint Waxwing from a light grey to a medium grey.(Kind of like that color). I was working at Caneel Bay shipyard on St. John in the Virgin Islands at the time and so had access to matterials and and quipment. 

We also painted Hinckleys there (our charter fleet) so I used Awl-Grip, the same we used on the Hinckleys. I spray painted it and it was beautiful (had the Caribbean pro watching over my shoulder).

The paint has held up excellent, but we are now considering another paint job the next time we haul out....a different color. But now we're in the states and haven't got a yard available so we will paint it  (Awl-Grip) by hand...the roller and tip method. I've not used this system myself but have seen it done with just excellent results.

One thing about Awl-Grip is that it is a poly urthane two-part paint and you MUST use only there products with the paint. That includes thinners, accellerators(if you use them) etc. There products are expensive but don't be tempted to use acetone where it calls for MEK or other products. It is a "complete painting system". And the paint is expensive. Also note that there is a different converter for brushing than for spraying.

I know there are other poly urethane paints out there, and some people have even had good luck with single part poly urethane but I will go with the Awl-Grip.

U.S. Paints that makes AwlGrip has a helpful web site at:

http://www.awlgrip.com/  

including  hints for brushing. A lot of people are using this system to do their own boats now and I wouldn't be surprised if someone in your area is going to be painting their boat soon with spring approaching. I'd check out the boatyards in your area and see if you can watch someone else try it.

Also, Hi to Dilkara.

We sailed together (previous owners) in the Bahamas, 1986 I think. Is she gaff rigged with tanbark sails? I have some picture of her under sail but I'm afraid they were taken with such a bad camera and from a distance so she's too small to appreciate here beauty.

Good luck, and take pictures and post them here.

Stan on Waxwing Hull #22

Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, and more