Pin rails

I am considering putting in a couple of these on the shrouds. Wondering where best to place whether I should extend between the two lower ones or use the middle and the forward one.

Using the two lower means they will be quite long, whereas the forward and middle wil be less windage but lie at an angle. Place to tie the burgee and some other rope.

Any comments re dimension and position?

Hi Stewart,
Adventure has them between the inners, and they accommodate the running lights, the burgee cleat, and the AIS aerial.

I’m considering adding pin rails also. I would also like to position my navigation lights on them like you did Mike.

Do you like the height? Anything you would done differently?

Hi Gary - I like the position of the pin rails on Adventure. The only thing was that the occasional flogging of the jib sheet in high winds has taken out the AIS aerial, so if I was doing it from scratch, I might consider placing that elsewhere.

I like the height for the running lights though, it makes for good distance visibility.

Here is a shot of our pin rails on Mandy. They are lashed between the lowers and cap shroud and use fairly large wooden belaying pins. Love them, but, if i were to make a change i would move the pins inboard bit to reduce their tendency to grab sheets.

-Bob

Thanks Bob, that’s what I will do. I have some tarred marlin. I can lash between the inside of the cap shroud and the outside of the intermediate (the geometry of my rig is a little different than Mandy’s). I can put my nav lights on the aft end and they should being showing dead ahead. Then coat the lashings with some tar. Probably do a 3 pin setup.

Gonna be salty looking…I’ll be singing Shanties and drinking rum all day now!

Just have to decide what material for the pins.

Gary, Teak of course…you could go brass , but you’ve always been concerned about weight, so let me know I’ll turn you some. :slight_smile:

Mike

Anderson Boatworks.com

Thanks guys how wide and how long and how deep, lastly what is the diameter of the pin . Mike what is cost of turned brass compared to wood.

Mandy’s rails are about 2"x2" and just longer than the distance from the forward lower to aft lower shroud (to facilitate lashing) and the wood pin shank diameter is 1". You probably wouldn’t need a 1" shank on a brass pin… unless you want something that can also be used to repel borders! :slight_smile: If you go wood, I double the vote for teak as we have experience some rot on a few of ours.

-Bob
BCC#32 Mandy

Picture of pin rails on My Way. Teak, of course.

4043470_-1_20120822054252_0_0.jpg

Picture of pin rails on My Way. Teak, of course. Rails are between first two shrouds, approx 40" off the deck.

4043470_-1_20120822054252_0_0.jpg

Stewart, I would find a casting somewhere…the brass comment In was kidding , gary knows my humor…besides I only turn wood. See attachments , Im turnig some for Gary and “Shanti”.

Stewart, I would find a casting somewhere…the brass comment In was kidding …no need for the exta weight …, Gary knows my humor…besides I only turn wood. See attachment , Im turnig some for Gary’s “Shanti”.

Stewart, I would find a casting somewhere rather than turn brass… and referring to the comment I was only kidding, no need for the exta weight …, Gary knows my humor… and besides I only turn wood. See attachment , Im turnig some for Gary’s “Shanti”.

Stewart, I would find a casting somewhere rather than turn brass… and referring to the comment I was only kidding, no need for the exta weight …, Gary knows my humor… and besides I only turn wood… I’ll send a pic soon , Im turnig some for Gary’s “Shanti”.

Mike Anderson

pin rail photo from Mike Anderson

Thanks Mike I like what you have done and I called our wood store here to discover that they have sold all their teak! Do ya think mahog would do and what diameter. For the pin rails and also the pins. Hamiltom marine sell them for 45 bucks a throw in bronze, eek!

Hi Stewart, yes, mahogany is fine for the rail and pins, just keep them sealed. The diamensions would’nt change due to woood change.

Be happy to turn you some :slight_smile:

Hi Mike,
Any idea about what the cost of each one will be. I have thought about adding pin rails to Odyssey as well.
Thanks, Wayne

Hi Wayne, Belaying pins only…in teak - $55/ea.

...in mahogany $45/ea.

Does not include the rail, and the finish is left raw, or for a little more the grip cuts can be painted.