Propane Gas Line Replacement ?

Has anyone replaced their black rubber propane gas line to the stove ?

When I was in Australia 2001, there was a Who-Ha , about “un-approved” hose type gas lines, their requirement being solid pipe gas lines instead.

I haven’t noticed any cracking or other visual deterioration of the hose that was installed back in 1985 at SLM.

Yes, I would like to have a shut-off valve inside the cabin where the gas line comes through the deck, too.

Douglas

I have a solid line to within 4’ of the stove, There is then a manual shutoff valve, but the whole gas supply is controlled by a solenoid on the gas bottle triggered by a button on the methane detector.

From the manual shitoff valve to the vack of the stove is a 4’ rubber tube clearly marked in french “Replace before 1987”. I inspect this line every year, and cut a sample off a couple of years ago and pressure tested it. The hose is fine.

When we purchased IDUNA, the LPG system for the stove was similar to the system on Captain Cole’s boat with the exception of no solenoid valve between the tank and the service.

Based on the survey when we purchase her, the insurance company required the LPG system conform to the ABYC standard.

The ABYC standard for LPG service is as follows:

1. The LPG tank must be in a box that vents overboard or on deck,

2. The supply line (hose/tubing) shall be continuous and unbroken from the LPG tank storage box to the service (stove/heater),

3. A service shut-off must be located within 2 ft of the service,

4. The supply line fitting leading the LPG hose into the boat shall be gas tight.

We updated IDUNA’s LPG stove system with a Coast Guard approved LPG hose which runs from the LPG tank storage box to the stove without any fittings between the LPG source and stove, i.e. continuous and unbroken. A Blue Seas solenoid valve, a standard LPG regulator (local welding/LPG supply house) and a pressure gauge (McMaster.com) was installed between the tank and supply hose leading into the cabin. The 2 amp breaker switch for the solenoid was located within 2 ft of the stove. (Note: The breaker supplied with the Blue Seas solenoid was rated at 5 amps. The service rating for the solenoid is less than an amp. Blue Seas replaced this breaker with a 2 amp breaker at no cost.)

For the LPG service to the heater, we ran a continuous line (hose) directly from the tank via a regulator to the heater. The tank and regulator are located in a deck box starboard of the mast and in front of the cabin house. Instead of using a solenoid valve, I build a mechanical actuator that opens and closes the main valve on the tank. The LPT tank valve is opened my pulling a rod and closed by pushing the rod from inside the cabin. The rod passing through the forward cabin side via a gas tight fitting. The gas tight fitting consists of two packing glands filled with grease.

We saved a significant amount of money by having a local LPG business make up the Coast Guard approved hose, purchasing a pressure gauge from McMaster.com and purchasing a regulator from a local welding/LPG supply house. The gas tight fitting for the mechanical actuator was fabricated in-house.

Cheers,

IDUNA