Propane Location?

My plastic propane locker probably won’t pass the next insurance survey. I also don’t like all the lazrette space the locker uses. The boat has two 10 lb steel propane tanks in a plastic locker in the lazrette.

Where do you keep a propane tank? I’ve seen posts talking about putting propane into deck boxes. I just looked that option over. It is not clear how to run the propane lines from that location. I would need three continuous lines to: the stove, the deck grill, and the cabin heater.

I have seen a photo of an unidentified BCC with dual 6 lb tanks attached to rails on the transom, under the boomkin. This location is very exposed.

What works?

Propane.png

The standard BCC had the propane tanks installed in deck boxes on both sides of the mast, attached to the cabin front. The lines pass down into the cabin where they are run where needed alongside the wires. this requires a bit of cutting and installing cover boards.

On my own boat, I made a wooden box lined in and out with fiberglass just the size of a single 9# aluminum horizontal tank. The lid fit snugly and was air tight. The box was fastened to the transom with a hinge so the box could tilt forward to replace the tank or turn it on or off. to do this a piece of plywood is bonded to the inside of the transom. The hinge is mounted to this wood. The box was vented overboard through the transom. This vent and box was high enough that water did not enter. This vent and all fitting were made by installing double flare fitting through the box then fastening the propane hose to these fittings. The key is to make sure the box is airtight and all the fittings do not leak. Since this box fits directly under the deck and extends out to the lazarette opening, it does not take up any room. I have

second set 030.jpg

second set 029.jpg

The standard BCC had the propane tanks installed in deck boxes on both sides of the mast, attached to the cabin front. The lines pass down into the cabin where they are run where needed alongside the wires. this requires a bit of cutting and installing cover boards.

On my own boat, I made a wooden box lined in and out with fiberglass just the size of a single 9# aluminum horizontal tank. The lid fit snugly and was air tight. The box was fastened to the transom with a hinge so the box could tilt forward to replace the tank or turn it on or off. to do this a piece of plywood is bonded to the inside of the transom. The hinge is mounted to this wood. The box was vented overboard through the transom. This vent and box was high enough that water did not enter. This vent and all fitting were made by installing double flare fitting through the box then fastening the propane hose to these fittings. The key is to make sure the box is airtight and all the fittings do not leak. Since this box fits directly under the deck and extends out to the lazarette opening, it does not take up any room. I have some photos but I am having difficulty attaching them here. Email me if you want more information and the photos.

roger
xiphias37@yahoo.com

We utilized the boomkin. At the apex of the boomkin, inside at the two meeting 2 x 6 timbers we fabricated a circular stainless steel fitting that then was thru bolted to the adjoining pieces. Tied down loops were welded to the rim and it was fitted for a 10 pound propane tank. the hose connection was then sent via rubber tubing to the regulator/solenod that was fitted in the stbd corner where taffrail and bulwark meet. I spray it with WD 40 or equivalent periodically and it has held up. from there a thru deck fitting and hose to the propane stove in the galley. Its clean and pretty safe. We then added a matching green canvas cover for the tank and the tubing. One improvement would be to have a flap to open and shut the tank valve.
Nate

Hi,
Mine is attached to the transom.

Mehmet
CERYAN

MIMI TANKS.jpg

You could always do this.Wooden kegs anyone?
Bob & Lois