Questions to ask sellers of BCCs

I like to thank John, Bob & Lois, Roger, Rod and Mark for the valuable information they gave me regarding the BCC, a boat I am seriously considering purchasing. They responded to my posting, “Information on the BCC”. I agree the BCC is a good cut above the Dana. I think a better boat that one might compare to the BCC is the Shannon 28. There is not a lot of info on this boat. I don’t think very many were built. But of what I have been able to find out it looks like a very good boat that would work for my purpose and give me pride of ownership which is important. Any comments on the Shannon would be welcomed.

I have found a few BCCs for sale and speaking to brokers they have offered to relay questions to the sellers. I can think of a few obvious questions to ask but I thought who better to know what to look for then owners of BCCs. I would appreciate any thoughts on questions I might ask sellers of these boats. Thanks again - you folks are a great help. I think I would love to own one of these boats but I sure have to do my homework - work I did not do on that 35 foot popular plastic boat I bought a few years ago and have since sold.

Brent

Brent,
We owned a Shannon 28 before we bought our BCC. Great boat, nice lines, very well built, sails great. What we didn’t like ? The cockpit was a bit too large, the boat had a wheel and the cabin arrangement that we had was a bit cramped, especially the vee berth. The boats were built with a few variations in cabin layouts and without wheels. The vee birth is pretty much the same in all with a couple built with other berth variations. In most Shannon 28’s the cabin has a centerline dropleaf table mounted around the mast. This takes up some space but can be removed. The boat that we owned had a pullout table like the Dana. Shannon like the BCC has some nice unique features. The boat sails very well and I always felt secure even in the worst weather. They too have crossed oceans. In our search for the perfect boat I was the one that looked at engineering and Lois looked at sailing ability and safety. The Shannon has through deck chainplates which on two boats that we looked at had major leak problems so we passed on them. Belowdecks there is plenty to hold on to. So… it all comes down to what? If you look at the price tags there is a great big difference. I think the BCC is a much better built boat as I think back and compare what I remember about construction similarities between the two boats. I just think the boys at Sam L. Morse went the extra mile in making sure they were building one of the best boats that they could. The Shannon had no shortcuts but in some cases the construction practices were not the same as the BCC. All in all it remains a matter of choice as to what you like or dislike. In our case the Shannon didn’t work. IF there were never a BCC the Shannon probably would have been the one. Good luck in your search.

Bob & Lois

Jolie Brise

Anyone have any thoughts on this question Brent posed a few days ago?

brent.friedenberg Wrote:

I can think of a few obvious
questions to ask but I thought who better to knows
what to look for then owners of BCCs. I would
appreciate any thoughts on questions I might ask
sellers of these boats.

Brent, See my post for your “I would appreciate any comments on this BCC”.
Gary