Re: [BCC Forum Post] honkinsailor: Re: [BCC Forum Post] honkinsailor: Diesel in the crank case?

Aaron,

I have heard of engines sitting for a while getting fuel in the oil, reason is fuel gells, developes varnish, injectors stick and dribble rather than spray; if this were the case you should have had to crank for a while before it started and would have see a lot of white smoke until warm or beyond. We often have to replace entire fuel systems on long dormant engine, as may moisture common in old fuel distroys pumps and injectors.

The Y-Series, old sidewinder Yanmars, not having been imported into the US for over 10-15 years. Most of these saltwater cooled engines have salted up cooling passages in the head and block. Common to these engines is blown head gaskets, worn exhaust valves and gides, which accounts for most of the black smoke we see in these engines (low compression). Worn injection pumps, govenour linkage, and bushings, flyweights, idle dampener account for a majority of erratic performance. We are constantly amazed that some of these old engines are still running, many of the parts are no longer available NLA from the dealer. We rebuilt our last one about 8 years ago, found the last remaining idle dampener in Vancouver BC, laying dusty on the shelf, in a god knows how old Yanmar plastic bag; the dealer laughed, had to blow the dust off the bag just to see what it was, miracle of miracles he could still read the part number. Didn’t know how long he had it, thought a customer ordered it by mistake
about 10-12 years ago, thankfuly we only needed one.

We fiddled and fussed around repairing these engines for years, often rebuilding the head brought most of the compression back if the cylinder and rings were good, reducing or eliminating the black smoke. Injection systems are fickle at best, injectors are straight forward, injection pump (hocky pucks) are as crude as they come, pump linkage set-up is critical, follow the manual to the letter when adjusting.

Today, most of these engine are so throughly worn, if we can make them run it’s a good day, never expect perfection.

Cheers,

Marty Chin, BCC Shamrock

So you’re saying a replacement is in order! I heartily agree…now to find $10,000!

Thanks for your help,
Aaron N.

Ebay your old Y-series Yanmar, I’m shure some is out there looking for parts. A lot of the old Catalina 30’ used them under the salon seatee, darn near the only thing that would fit, others used them as well. With all the room under the cockpit it would be a shame not to put some real horsepower in your BCC.

Marty Chin, BCC Shamrock

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: honkinsailor
Username: honkinsailor
Subject: Re: [BCC Forum Post] honkinsailor: Re: [BCC Forum Post] honkinsailor: Diesel in the crank case?
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4426,4427#msg-4427

So you’re saying a replacement is in order! I heartily agree…now to find $10,000!

Thanks for your help,
Aaron N.