Re-power

Dear Colleagues: Sentient, hull # 63, is currently powered with a Volvo Penta 18 hspwr diesel. Would be interested in hearing the recommendations and experiences of any boat owner who has re-powered. I would like to upgrade to the new Yanmar 29 hspwr, the engine which the company installs in new boats but I am not sure how easily this can be done considering the engine mounts, shaft(currently 3/4 inch), etc.
Thanks,
Richard A Smith  
Dioscouri, hull #64, originally had the Volvo engine as well.  Last Spring, I re-powered with a Westerbeke 35D, which is a 31-hp engine.  No modifications to the engine pan were required and I retained the 3/4" shaft.  The engine works beautifully and easily brings the boat up to hull speed with reserve power remaining (with the Volvo, I was unable to exceed 4 knots under power).

The only complaint I have with the Westerbeke is that most of the service areas are either at the rear of the engine or on the starboard side, and there is little room between the starboard side of the engine and the engine room bulkhead.  To help alleviate the problem, I had the engine oil dipstick relocated to the port side (the Westerbeke includes a port on the port side of the engine for this purpose).  I have also purchased a remote oil filter, which I have not yet installed but intend to once I can figure out where to put it.

Gary Mynett
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 9:42 PM
To: bcc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [bcc] Re-power

Dear Colleagues: Sentient, hull # 63, is currently powered with a Volvo Penta 18 hspwr diesel. Would be interested in hearing the recommendations and experiences of any boat owner who has re-powered. I would like to upgrade to the new Yanmar 29 hspwr, the engine which the company installs in new boats but I am not sure how easily this can be done considering the engine mounts, shaft(currently 3/4 inch), etc.
Thanks,
Richard A Smith  

Total cost approximated $18,000 Cdn.  Engine was about $10,500 Cdn.; various parts (i.e., replaced water muffler; replaced cutlass bearing; upgraded instrument panel; etc.) plus installation labour, yard charges (which approximated $1,000 for the haul out and yard storage costs for about 1 month) and excessive taxes (in Canada, taxes are 14% on parts and supplies and 7% on labour) brought the total up to about $18,000.  This was offset by $1,000 sales proceeds on the sale of the old Volvo engine, which was still in good working order.

Shortly after my re-powering, I understand the Westerbeke 35D engine increased in price by about $1,500 in Vancouver due to a change in the distributor.

Gary Mynett
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:39 AM
To: bcc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [bcc] Re-power

Gary: considering our boats are more or less the same vintage highly value your reccomendation. If you are comfortable providing a cost estimate that will help when I get estimates.
Thanks,
Richard/Sentient    

Gary: considering our boats are more or less the same vintage highly value your reccomendation. If you are comfortable providing a cost estimate that will help when I get estimates.
Thanks,
Richard/Sentient    

If you get a Yanmar 29 hspwr, it fairly easy to fit into the
engine compartment - no need to tear out the entry in order to
install it. I took mine out myself without too much trouble.
But, off the subject, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t
choose the Yanmar 29 due to my experiences related to oil
consumption, weight, and starting.

Man, if I could use my Volkswagen TDI Diesel in a BCC, I’d be
so happy!!

Mark Gearhart

— In bcc@yahoogroups.com , richard smith <ras9463@y…> wrote:

Dear Colleagues: Sentient, hull # 63, is currently powered with a
Volvo Penta 18 hspwr diesel. Would be interested in hearing the
recommendations and experiences of any boat owner who has re-
powered. I would like to upgrade to the new Yanmar 29 hspwr, the
engine which the company installs in new boats but I am not sure how