Religion politics and anchoring

I have read through the posts here but would like more facts and opinions. I have an engineless FC 22 current set up, new boat to me is an ABI windlass with 100’ 516 chain plus 1/2 line . I will be setting off in the next few months to slowly work my way to Mexico. I am thinking a 22lb Rocna and looking for the best set up ie, loose the windlass and go to 1/4 with more chain or keep what I have. I will be uninsured as I am broke and live off a very small budget.

Barefoot,
I had an engineless Falmouth Cutter for 16 years with some very long ranging voyages.

At first I had an ABI windlass w/200’ of 5/16 BBB and a 25’ CQR. This ALWAYS kept me put in one place. But the boat sailed like crap to weather. Way to much weight right up in the bow.

I changed over to 100’ of 1/4 HT and 200’ of 1/2" multi plait. Also got rid of the windlass. still had the 25’ CQR. Sailed with this setup for about 8 years. It ALWAYS kept me put in one place also. The BIG difference was performance to weather…she would just take off and effortlessly sail to weather over the seas. Never had a problem hauling this all up by hand.

Of course you will need a second anchor for those really nasty nights. I had a stern anchor that I could easily run up to the bow for this purpose.

Good luck, you’ll have a ball. The Falmouth are GREAT boats!

Thanks Gary, love the website BTW. Just put the windlass up for sale. A

Any more feedback on anchor size? After reading the above I’m considering selling the 35 lbs CQR that came with the boat and buying a $100 used 25 lbs CQR that’s on craigslist. Mostly I’ll be sailing to Catalina and using one of their moorings but might need to anchor in the channel islands in a couple years. I’ve also pulled my windlass and would prefer to haul the anchor by hand. Y’all think the 10lbs will make a difference sailing and hauling? Is it worth the craigslist trouble?

Stien, I would look into a 22 Delta, about 175 new. I’ve never been a fan of the 25 CQR :slight_smile: