Removable cockpit sole

Jeremy,
Is the sole of your cockpit removable?

Lima33

Semper Fi

Hi Lima - Nope. Both Calypso and Mischief have the SLM fiberglass deck where the cockpit is an integral part of the mould. I suppose some folks may have done some conversion to turn the cockpit sole into an removable hatch for better engine access - but I have not seen that on any boat that I have seen. Does your boat have a removable cockpit sole?

Cheers,
Jeremy

No Jeremy the sole is not meant to be removable, but being that there is some rot… and some rebuilding to be done was thinking I might make it so?

Lima33

Semper Fi

The downside to a removable sole is leaks. Consider that your cockpit may be filled to the brim by a boarding wave. I don’t know the layout of your boat or what the existing access challenges might be, but if you don’t really need a removable cockpit sole, then I recommend you don’t plan on putting one in. Rebuilding your cockpit sole will be a simpler project if you’re not aiming to make it movable.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Easy to do to make removable cockpit floor… Two ways. If interested let me know
The other way is to make the side locker wall removal for better engine access. I did both

Jeremy, leaks are a concern for sure. Perhaps I should have said semi removable, attach it from the outside so that “If” needed it will be a non-destructive process to gain access.
Nereus… absolutely I would be interested in your thoughts on this. Perhaps a new thread as this is a bit of a hijack of Jeremy’s original post.
So many things to address on a boat that sat unused for some time. I am setting a semi goal of being able to sail the “Schooner Cup” next year in San Diego.

Lima33

Semper Fi

1 Like

@Lima33, In reply to the cockpit removal question. Cut out straight lines around the cockpit non-skid. Sand the cut edges smooth and straight. Screw a cleat or piece of Teak about 1 1/2" wide and 3/8"+/- thick the underside of the cockpit so it extends out about 3/4". If you can, gel coat the cut edges of the cockpit and the piece cut out. The piece cut out should fit nicely on the cleat or 3/4" shelf. Glue a thin piece of soft rubber gasket around the cockpit cleat… Or… To the underside edges of the piece cut out. Place cut out piece in place. Screw down the corners. I suggest your make a nice, removable Teak cover that you can remove and put on cleats around the top of the cockpit so you can have the whole cockpit to sleep on… Feel free to ask any question at xiphias37@yahoo.com

···