Rudder Lock

Hmmmm,
I’m going to install a block on our rudder, as backup to the hex head machine screw and washer that have done the job for 31 yrs and about 58,000 miles! I agree that the jam block is a better solution than the bolt & washer keeper.

Stewart, I looked at your fantastic blog (google BCC 126) and found a picture of your transom showing your 2 upper gudgeons, attached to your transom, as is normal (Oct 9, 2009). So,your fittings are the usual, with pintles on the rudder. If your middle set were installed upside down as David has suggested, it doesn’t seem like your rudder would have floated up in the Exumas??

I’m betting that a small block of teak, screwed to the rudder, in the notch under the gudgeon, will do the trick!

Season’s Greetings All!
Dan Shaula

You know guys I should sometimes look at my own blog, and even update it! In fact I checked the other day and came to the same conclusion Dan. It is indeed so frustrating to be here when the boat is there. Got so many items and things I would like to do in the off season but can’t. Maybe I should retire? Thanks for looking out for me guys.