Sampson post installation

Water was leaking down around the sampson posts, so I pulled off the old caulk and attached packing beneath. Packing looks like three strand line, but suspect it is cotton packing material. Without the packing in place there is approximately a 1/8 inch gap around each Samson post. I do not find in the construction manual a detail for this. Is best practice to fill the gap with cotton, and cover with 3M 4000 or similar caulk?

Mike, I would put caulking cotton around the posts. This is a great little video on what is done for hull planks. Wooden Boat Repair-Dry hull caulking 2 - YouTube
Then I would top it off with a good quality 2 part seam compound like this Jamestown Distributors 10
It’s a little pricey, but will last a long time.

Cheers

Mike, I struggled with this issue for years. With the bowsprit removed I would caulk the gap but when the bowsprit is installed it tensions against the posts which are forced aft which disturbs the caulk seal. I solved this by forcing a teak shim in front of the posts to preposition the posts aft against the hole in the deck. Then I cut teak strips at the correct width to force into the sides of the posts and slightly recessed to the deck. I then filled the remaining gaps with Lifecaulk. It has worked well with only the slightest amount of seepage.

Good luck.

Ron Thompson
Ho’okahiko 97

I’ve removed my Sampson posts once (for refinishing) and then, when replacing them, packed them with cotton, followed by sealant. I have never had any leaking whatsoever.

Gary
Dioscouri #064

I’ve removed my Sampson posts once (for refinishing) and then, when replacing them, packed them with cotton, followed by sealant. I have never had any leaking whatsoever.

Gary
Dioscouri #064

To stop some leaking, I added more caulking cotton and resealed, extending the bead a bit. Have not had any leaks for over 20 years.

Dan Shaula

Thanks much for the recommendations. I installed 1/8" thick stainless steel spacers on the aft and outboard side of each post to completely take up the open spaces and hold each post tightly in place. The top of each spacer is approximately 1/8" below the top of the deck, and each spacer extends well below the bottom of the deck. Below deck two screws hold each spacer to their post, to keep each spacer from moving or falling out over time. I generously caulked around each post with 3M4000. Been through two big rains and all is dry.

Thanks much for the recommendations. I installed 1/8" thick stainless steel spacers on the aft and outboard side of each post to completely take up the open spaces and hold each post tightly in place. The top of each spacer is approximately 1/8" below the top of the deck, and each spacer extends well below the bottom of the deck. Below deck two screws hold each spacer to their post, to keep each spacer from moving or falling out over time. I generously caulked around each post with 3M4000. Been through two big rains and all is dry.