Sea Star up for auction

I found this link to US auctions showing vessels from hurricane Ike up for auction, where I ran across the listing for Sea Star. Hard to tell from the photos, but maybe someone with a big back yard, skill and a bucket of money, in time will raise Sea Star from the muck.

sales@usauctions.com

http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=8492

Best wishes to all, keep the wet side down.

Marty Chin

Ouch – that is one sad situation. Glad I got Elizabeth out of TX before that blew threw. Would be nice to have a “parts boat”. Gosh almighty, that looks like one hell of a project… it hurts to look at it :frowning:

The only thing that is really scary about that boat is the horizontal crack along the keel. The whole keel must have flexed sideways to tear that open - I’d be scared to see what damage that did inside where the ballast is glassed in:

http://usauctions.com/images/items/F_8492_122658.JPG

Also, I’m curious what was on the inside of this. I imagine this was the fatal blow for the poor lady :frowning:

Everything else looks repairable. All the scuffs, that puncture, the bulwarks - just time consuming, but certainly doable. If the boat goes in the ~$8,000 range, as most of the boats in this shape seem to be (A Westsail in much better shape went for $9,600…not that they’re the same class!), litte Sea Star could have one happy owner! The hardware alone would be worth it, even if the boat is not restored.

If I didn’t have college and career goals, I might do it. Young and full of energy, stupidity, all that jazz…looks like a good challenge. Arrrr!

Good luck!
Aaron N.

Gee , Honkinsailor , you are right about the value of the bronze fittings on her.

I think that she was fitted out with almost all bronze topside fittings, by a former owner , Brian Wootenwolly, (Name ?) (Sp-?).

The good stuff too , from P T Foundry in Washington.

Such a shame ! Do you really think that a renovator could get out all the salt from all the hidden tight spots and corners, inside the hull ?

Wonder if a new hull could be ordered from Cape George, and all the good stuff transfered over from Sea Star ?

Douglas

The lost of Sea Star is very sad for Lenora and me and an emotional and financial lost for the owner. My wife had the opportunity to visit Sea Star a few years ago. Lenora told me the other day, Sea Star was a beautiful boat.

It would be nice to see her restored or her bronze hardware “reborn” on another BCC. At the same time, we need to be sensitive to her former owner and his lost.

Kind Regards,

Rod
BCC IDUNA

There is a process, patented, that might be able to do a proper job of drying Sea Star’s wet fiberglass allowing for repair. WaterOut is a simple process that basically forces ultra dry air into a structure rather than extract humid/moist air from the interior. I happen to have met the owner. Many companies are leasing his equipment all over the country. It’s even been on that Home restoration/rescue show for families in trouble.

Hope that gives someone the inspiration to give it a try.

I don’t think Sea Star’s hull can be saved. The Starboard side is stove in along a 20 foot length and some of the damage is down low at the encapsulated ballast level. She sank in 15 feet of water stern first,…down flooded ( Things to do before storm… adjust dock lines, done. Lock main hatch…can’t remember):slight_smile: I will not bore the group with the gory details but email me direct if anyone is interested in more info re items on board or extent of damage. They did recover the boom, most of the mast and the broken bowsprit which is not shown in photos.

Sea Star is insured through Boat US. As soon as I sign over title they will pay off on the total loss and sell the wreck to me for $2000 or release it to the auction company. I have been stalling the title trasfer as I researched various options for a restoration. The best one I came up with is to buy Hull no 109 that was never built and is in Wisconsin for sale at 50 to 60 k and marry it with Sea Star bits and pieces. However the economics still don’t work, at least for me. I don’t have the shipwright skills that would be needed to ramrod such a project so would have to hire in this expertise. And after much soul searching, wailing and nashing of teeth I have decided that I would rather spend the next two years sailing than building. On Monday I will sign over title to Boat US. I will not exercise my option to buy wreck. (But if they want the Bell they will, as Charlton Heston said, have to pry it out of my cold dead hands)

See you at spring boat shows. I’ll be the one with insurance money burning a hole in my pocket.

Best
David Kent

Dave, my heart goes with you to see the level of damage to your boat. Couple of good things is firstly no one was injured and secondly it was insured,

Moving on, I am presently building a BCC, partly thru a shipwright and partly myself. I have up to date costs on most things and would be willing to assist should you be interested to pursue that route. The shipwright I am using in Maine is doing excellent work and he may be interested to do one more when mine comes out the shop this June. Furthermore should you pursue a new build there are many items on your boat that would be worth saving and easily get the two thousand back and likely very much more. I remain ready to help should you choose to build. I also noted Nereus is for sale under the boats for sale site…

Dave, my heart goes with you to see the level of damage to your boat. Couple of good things is firstly no one was injured and secondly it was insured,

Moving on, I am presently building a BCC, partly thru a shipwright and partly myself. I have up to date costs on most things and would be willing to assist should you be interested to pursue that route. The shipwright I am using in Maine is doing excellent work and he may be interested to do one more when mine comes out the shop this June. Furthermore should you pursue a new build there are many items on your boat that would be worth saving and easily get the two thousand back and likely very much more. I remain ready to help should you choose to build. I also noted Nereus is for sale under the boats for sale site…

Thanks for kind thoughts, Stewart. I would like to visit with you about your project and get your consul on mine. I have sent you a private message with my full contact info.

best,
David Kent
Sea Star

Hey David, I enjoyed talking with you yesterday and again I’m sorry you lost the boat. Russ’s contact information is below. You will not be disappointed in the quality of their work. Good Luck, Matthew Hedrick 919-740-2852

Tommy “Russ” Russell
Russell Yachts
905 Shepard st
Morehead City, NC
252-240-2826
Russellyachts@embarqmail.com

LOGO.jpeg