Servicing Lights, etc mounted on Top of the Masthead

The main, trysail and jib halyard sheaves fitted to IDUNA’s mast are located about 8" or 10" below the masthead - similar to a wood mast. I go aloft on a 4-part gantline, which I hoist aloft with the main halyard. When I am at the top of the mast, I am unable to reach above the masthead to service the tricolor light. I have thought about installing twp folding maststeps perhaps 5 to 4 ft below the masthead. Standing on these steps would place my shoulders at the masthead.

I am interested to learn how other BCC sailors have solved the challenge of servicing lights, etc. mounted on top of the masthead.

Rod

Rod,

For going aloft I use “ascenders” on the main halyard. One is rigged to my waist harness and the other is set up with a stirrup for my left foot. I attach a prussik line (5mm) above the top ascender and to my harness as a safety. I have two bronze steps about 4 feet below the mast that I can stand and reach the top fairly easily. I sit in a bosuns chair for the comfort such as things are. I also have the sheaves attached to the mast cap. See photo, which shows the spinnaker halyard in blue and the jib sheave. Note the bronze eye nut that I just had “repaired” by Pete Langley at PT Foundry, saving over half the price of replacing it.

Rod,

For going aloft I use “ascenders” on the main halyard. One is rigged to my waist harness and the other is set up with a stirrup for my left foot. I attach a prussik line (5mm) above the top ascender and to my harness as a safety. I have two bronze steps about 4 feet below the mast that I can stand and reach the top fairly easily. I sit in a bosuns chair for the comfort such as things are. I also have the sheaves attached to the mast cap. See photo, which shows the spinnaker halyard in blue and the jib sheave. Note the bronze eye nut that I just had “repaired” by Pete Langley at PT Foundry, saving over half the price of replacing it.

Tom
Terrier

Rod,

Tom
Terrier

Rod,

For going aloft I use “ascenders” on the main halyard. One is rigged to my waist harness and the other is set up with a stirrup for my left foot. I attach a prussik line (5mm) above the top ascender and to my harness as a safety. I have two bronze steps about 4 feet below the mast head that I can stand and reach the top fairly easily. I sit in a bosuns chair for the comfort such as things are. I also have the sheaves attached to the mast cap. See photo, which shows the spinnaker halyard in blue and the jib sheave. Note the bronze eye nut that I just had “repaired” by Pete Langley at PT Foundry, saving over half the price of replacing it.

Tom
Terrier

Rod,

I’m not a BCC sailor, however I’ve had to address this issue on my Westsail. I have mast steps, but the upper most steps bring the mast head to my chin leaving it very difficult to do any serious work (drilling, using tools, etc…) on top of the mast.

To get all the way up, I like to rig a temporary ratline between the mast and both upper shrouds at a level that will put my chest at the top of the mast. To do it, I take a 10’+ line I trust to support my weight and make a clove hitch around the mast. Then I use a tautline hitch (rolling hitch works, too) to make off the ratline to both shrouds.

I’ve attached a picture we snapped - not super quality, but should help for visualizing.

I wear my harness up and make the tether off tight around the mast for a little more support.

Hope this helps!

Sweet coconuts,
Aaron N.

Oops, I forgot to attach the image. It is attached this time!

Cheers,
Aaron

tempratline.jpg

Aaron and Tom:

Thank you for the replies to the post. I think I will try the ratlin approach then decide if I need to install two mast steps near the top of the mast.

Terry:

I love the bronze hardware at the top of the mast. The masthead looks well founded.

Fair Winds,

Rod

Terry:

I just noted the bronze spelter terminal on the upper shroud - nice hardware. Are they filled with lead or casting resin?

Rod

Rod,
These are zinc filled. Casted originally by New Found Metals in Port Townsend before they sent everything to China. PT Foundry casts an improved product.

Tom
“Terrier”