Small porthole gasket at fwd scuttle hatch

Has anyone replaced these gaskets? They are U-Channel gaskets. Wonder if anyone found a source that fit well. Thanks.

Photo of porthole apart and gasket:

Imgur

Hi Ben,

I redid mine with silicone many years ago and have not had a problem since. Looks like yours has a screw in ring holding the glass in, whereas mine have a sort of bronze rod circlip. If you have enough thread, silicone might work for you here as well.

Jeremy

ben,

i used two approaches to re-gasket the u channels. i had a local hose and rubber company cut gaskets for me. i found them not to be uniform. i used those that fit well and found another solution for the remaining portlights. Perko weatherstriping- a cell foam rubber that comes in 10’ lengths.http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/ventilators/product/235/ I purchased it at West Marine. All the gaskets were installed with 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Both applications have provided an excellent seal.

In addition, my fixed scuttle hatch portlights which had no channel and no gasket were sealed with dow corning 3145. That has proved to be completely satisfactory as well.

BEN:

All you need is a sheet of Buna N rubber - Paramount Packing and Rubber in Baltimore 410-789-2233. Use the glass as a template to cut the outside circle, then assembly the port light with the large rubber disc for the gasket. With a single edge razor, use the inner ring as a template to cut out the center of the rubber disc to make a gasket. I used this approach to cut a gasket for Iduna’s large portlight with great success. If you do not want to make your own gaskets, Paramount Packing and Rubber can make them for you.

BEN:

All you need is a sheet of Buna N rubber - Paramount Packing and Rubber in Baltimore 410-789-2233. Use the glass as a template to cut the outside circle, then assembly the port light with the large rubber disc for the gasket. With a single edge razor, use the inner ring as a template to cut out the center of the rubber disc to make a gasket. I used this approach to cut a gasket for Iduna’s large portlight with great success. If you do not want to make your own gaskets, Paramount Packing and Rubber can make them for you.