SSB Ground Plane

Has anyone connected to the lead ballast, for use as a part of a SSB radio ground plane or for a ground for lightening protection ?

If so,  how did you do it ?

Douglas    BCC  Calliste

Yes, I have tapped the lead for HF and lightning grounding. I used a large diameter bronze lag screw, which I screwed through the fiberglass in the bilge into the lead. I then ran 2 inch (or so) wide copper foil along the inside surface of the hull to the chain plate bolts and to the HF gear. However, I used a balanced HF antenna, an inverted-V dipole. This antenna does not rely upon the HF ground to act as a ground plane – so in my case I only needed a safety ground. When I got the boat, it had a 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot bronze plate screwed into the lead from the outside of the hull. This provides lightning a path from the lead to the water, without having to vaporize any fiberglass! Lightning scares me (might have something to do with the wood mast), so when in port, I hang chain from the cap shroud into the water.

Regards,

Jeremy

Calypso #6

-----Original Message----- From: Douglas Walling [mailto:dwkayaks@spiderweb.com.au] Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 1:28 PM To: bcc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [bcc] SSB Ground Plane

Has anyone connected to the lead ballast, for use as a part of a SSB radio ground plane or for a ground for lightening protection ?

Douglas    BCC  Calliste

BRISTOL CHANNEL CUTTER OWNERS ASSOCIATION Mail List Home:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bcc BCC Owners Home: http://www.geocities.com/bccowners Post message:    mailto:bcc@yahoogroups.com Subscribe:       mailto:bcc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe:     mailto:bcc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner:      mailto:bcc-owner@yahoogroups.com

<span style=“font-size:10.0pt;font-family:“Courier New”;color:black”>Your use of
Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of Service
. <o:p></o:p>

Douglas,
The factory boats have a 1.5 or 2 inch copper foil that runs from the lead ballast to the navigation station and to the starboard
aft bulkhead behind the fuel tank. This is where they put the SSB tuner in the factory boats. The copper foil runs under a
layer of glass on the inside of the hull.
Steve
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 12:28 PM
Subject: [bcc] SSB Ground Plane

Douglas    BCC  Calliste