Hey everyone,
I’m planning to replace all of the standing rigging (wire) on Sea Wind over the next month or so. As I put together my parts list and plan the job, I’m weighing the decision between traditional machine-swaged fittings and mechanical fittings like Sta-Lok.
I’d love to hear from anyone who has re-rigged recently or has long-term experience with either route. A few specific points I’m thinking through:
-
DIY vs. Professional Setup: Sta-Lok fittings are appealing because I can install them myself using standard hand tools right at the dock or yard. For those who have gone this route, how straightforward was the assembly process for a first-timer?
-
Reliability & Inspection: How do mechanical fittings hold up against moisture and crevice corrosion compared to swages over 10+ years?
-
Cost Difference: Sta-Loks carry a higher upfront hardware cost, but being able to reuse the fitting body and only replace the internal wedge/cone in the future seems like a solid investment. Has that played out as expected for you?
-
Hybrid Options: Has anyone opted for swages at the masthead and Sta-Lok at the deck level to balance initial cost while retaining field repairability?
If you have any lessons learned, strong preferences, or advice between Sta-Lok, Hi-MOD, or standard swaging, I’d really appreciate your insights!
Thanks in advance!