The end of the bowsprit

Some people have expressed an interest on my setup for the jib at the end of the sprit.

I have a round sprit with a ring that hauls the tack out to the end. Just like they did on the original Channel cutters. The jib is set flying with a Dyneema luff rope. Plus I have a Code 0 furler. The whole thing can be struck and hauled inboard at any point. I believe I am the only one with this setup. I stop using my jib past 16-18 knots on the wind. Just go down to staysail.

I never have to go out on the sprit.

Here is a link to my blog the goes into more detail.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary,

Thank you for sharing your bowsprit traveller. Bowsprits are great and the BCC has one that is beautifully designed and rigged but … In a marina they are a pain and expensive and who wants to hank on a jib in a sea. I’ve used a similar traveller, see attachment, on a traditional Dutch yacht. The “Kliver” or flying jib was set flying, of course, by hooking the tack to the hook. Raise the sail and when up then pull the ring with the tack out to the tip of the bowsprit. Doing so would tighten the halyard. It was an auxiliary sail used in light conditions so this is different than the BCC but I’ve always wondered if the idea would apply. Nice to see you use it. Now, the next question - What sail do you use?

Gary,

Thank you for sharing your bowsprit traveller. Bowsprits are great and the BCC has one that is beautifully designed and rigged but … In a marina they are a pain and expensive and who wants to hank on a jib in a sea. I’ve used a similar traveller, see attachment, on a traditional Dutch yacht. The “Kliver” or flying jib was set flying, of course, by hooking the tack to the hook. Raise the sail and when up then pull the ring with the tack out to the tip of the bowsprit. Doing so would tighten the halyard. It was an auxiliary sail used in light conditions so this is different than the BCC but I’ve always wondered if the idea would apply. Nice to see you use it. Now, the next question - What sail do you use?

On that point of bowsprits being an expensive pain in marinas, wouldn’t it be lovely to redesign the BCC bowsprit so that it retained its rugged good looks but could be reefed inboard like the pilot cutters do, there by saving paying for 7 feet of fresh air.
I have spent a while thinking of ways it could be done but nothing elegant as befits a BCC has come to mind yet. Has anyone else seen or tried to do this?

Jonathan

https://goo.gl/images/WdSu6z

Great photo. I like this whole arrangement for long sprits. The hook is good too. It’s really handy though to have the little furler. Many of the current channel cutters over in the UK use a little bronze single line furler that Davey makes.

I use my jib now as a light air sail. Since I am in the Caribbean and it hardly ever blows less than 15 I use a cut down yankee. I usually keep it up to about 16 knots of wind. And then it’s furled, and everything is now inboard. What I did do was move the fair lead for my staysail off the cabin top. Put it on deck about 2/3 of the way towards the bulwarks. I was Leary of creating a toe stubber, but it has worked out fine. This opened up the slot substantially and really powered up the staysail. If I am crossing one of the rough channels between islands with 5-6’ seas and 20kts of wind I would be flying just the staysail and 1st reefed main. Reaching at 6 knots and standing up comfortably (12-15 degrees of heel). BCC’s carry an immense amount of sail. A few feet more than a Beneteau Ocean 40.

I hope that answered your question.

Jonathan,
I believe they could be. It’s just a matter of rigging. On the 40 and 50’ Channel cutters there is room for all the rigging that is required. Gets kinda tight on the 28. But I believe it’s possible.

Jonathan writes:
“On that point of bowsprits being an expensive pain in marinas, wouldn’t it be lovely to redesign the BCC bowsprit so that it retained its rugged good looks but could be reefed inboard like the pilot cutters do, there by saving paying for 7 feet of fresh air.
I have spent a while thinking of ways it could be done but nothing elegant as befits a BCC has come to mind yet. Has anyone else seen or tried to do this?”

I think Lyle Hess’ idea of a “reefable” bowsprit is not a practicable one on boat the size of the BCC 28. I tried it when we first had Shaula. Our bowsprit is epoxy sealed and painted and it wasn’t possible to avoid damaging the sprit surface while passing it through the gammon iron.

After 19 years we added an anchor roller fitting to the sprit about 18" forward of the stem. This is necessary to avoid the anchor swinging into the stem’s gelcoat and leaving dings (as the anchor is out of the water but not yet shipped onto the gammon iron roller).

The turning block for the roller reefing line was added after 9 years when roller furling was installed (after a trip to F. Polynesia and back). That also prevents pulling the sprit inboard through the gammon iron.

I have removed the sprit for refinishing 4 or 5 times over our 38 years of ownership, so I appreciate that the sprit is removable.
Dan Shaula BCC 59, 1981

Hi all, I’m curious about options for attaching a spinnaker while minimizing trips out the bowsprit. Thanks in advance!