tiller pilot

Richard:

Sorry to be late...just got back from 5 weeks in the North Channel of Lake Huron.  I did not need a push rod extension.  By putting the plate and the pedestal on the deck as I did, everything laid out just fine....Iron Mike steered us for most of the 750 NM we just sailed and worked well.........Tom

Tom: lake Huron can blow up quickly, any stories you want to share with the group.

As ordered and received the Simrad T32 comes with a mount but as an accessory a “Pedestal Mount” is available in a 90 mm size. This accessory does not appear to be readily available but from the photos you sent I suspect you used this for your installation. At the moment I am at a disadvantage since my boat and the unit is in the Northwest and I am in S Diego with plans to leave in about 3 weeks for a late summer cruise. Hopefully I can install the unit with the standard components, as delivered.

Thanks and welcome home,

Richard/Sentient

Does anyone have the telephone number for Simrad? I need to ask them several questions before I order a TP32 unit.

Thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod, here it is – I’ve found them to be very helpful.
Scott

Simrad:
Work: 425-778-8821

Work Address:
19210 33rd Ave.
Suite B
Lynnwood, WA 98039

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:12 PM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

Rod,

keep me posted on yer findings… im in the market for one too.

Thanks Scott.

Simard finally replied to my two e-mail messages. The customer support number they provided is 800-426-5565. Their customer service hours are 7 am. to 4 pm Settle, WA time.

If you need to use an extension tube, it can be no longer than 12". Beyound this length, the control arm will wobble.

Cheers,

Rod

We have had mixed results with the Simrad/Navico tiller pilot. It was very very nice to have when single-handing on the ICW or under sail or power offshore in moderate conditions on late-night watches.
Pluses are that it works well when it works and that the warranty (and out-of warranty) service staff is easy to reach, will actually discuss their findings when called and they don’t have long call wait times. Negatives are only that I don’t think that either the old TP 300 or the newer TP 32 is designed or built for longtime service on a boat as heavy as a BCC, and that sooner or later one gets to know the service staff on a first name basis. The one which came with Itchen got us up to Maine and down to the Abacos before deciding that hard to starboard was the only way to go. It was out of warranty but they repaired it for around $160 and it lasted another year or so before quitting between Nassau and the Abacos. We had it repaired to keep as a spare but replaced it with a new TP32 which is said to be more robust. However the new one began making nasty grinding noises enroute to Maine last year. It was a few weeks past warranty but they repaired it at no charge. Have not used it since then but when I tested it seemed to function properly and sounded just fine. Having researched discussion group comments on tiller pilotss I doubt that there are any brands out there which are much better engineered or any more trouble-free than the Simrad. My guess is that one normally gets a lot of good use from them under light conditions like running down the ICW – but that asking them to steer a BCC under double reef conditions rolling along on a broad reach is going to severely shorten the life of the unit.

Bottom line is that we now have a Cape Horn vane and when I get around to it may try fussing with a Simrad-Cape Horn interface. For the moment I’ll mostly use the Simrad when motoring.

Scott

benjiwoodboat Wrote:

Rod,

keep me posted on yer findings… im in the market
for one too.

Ben Eriksen
BCC #91 Elizabeth

POB 4565, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
ben@bener
;iksen.co
09;
631-463-6904

Web Design | BCC Elizabeth | Photo Gallery

Scott,

I found the same to be true on my Nor’sea… tiller pilot for motoring, and the windvane for sailing – you need both to single hand with ease.

I talked to Simrad’s customer support this am. about the TP 32 unit. Extension rods should not exceed 12" in length. Two mounts are available for the unit - a pedestal and a cantilevered mount. As is the case with the extension rods, these are sold separately - expensive. The tiller pin should not exceed 18" distance from the center of the gudgeon. Overall length, centered position of the TP 32 unit is 23.5" (24"). The pdf manual for the TP 32 unit is attached.

According to John at Simrad, tillerpilots are designed to give the helmsperson temporary relief from steering and should not be used as the primary pilot. The TP 32 unit is designed for boats up to 7 tons displacement. I suspect this tonnage is for a modern design, not a full keeled boat with a very large rudder, such as the BCC. Our boat tips the scales at about 7.5 tons with its gear and all wood interior.

Scott, as you stated, the staff at customer support are USA based and very friendly as well as knowledgeable. It was refreshing to only have to call one number and not listen to a menu system or outsourced support staff.

Fair Winds,

Rod

P.S. The unit is sold with a tiller pin and counting cup.

I talked to Simrad’s customer support this am. about the TP 32 unit. Extension rods should not exceed 12" in length. Two mounts are available for the unit - a pedestal and a cantilevered mount. As is the case with the extension rods, these are sold separately - expensive. According to John at Simrad, tillerpilots are designed to give the helmsperson temporary relief from steering and should not be used as the primary pilot. The TP 32 unit is designed for boats up to 7 tons displacement. I suspect this tonnage is for a modern design, not a full keeled boat with a very large rudder, such as the BCC. Our boat tips the scales at about 7.5 tons with its gear and all wood interior.

Scott, as you stated, the staff at customer support are USA based and very friendly as well as knowledgeable. It was refreshing to only have to call one number and not listen to a menu system or outsourced support staff.

Fair Winds,

Rod

P.S. PDF manual attached.

Rod, did you ever order the Simrad?

Ben:

Yes, Lenora replaced me with a Simrad TP32 tiller pilot. I have not wired it, nor determined how I will mount it. Hopefully, this rain will clear out by tomorrow and I can start working on the boat.

R

Rod, how’d the mounting go, or not go yet, of the TP32?

I got mine here, looking at the mounting options from this post and elsewhere… gathering the info.

Ben:

I will post picture tomorrow. I purchased a 11-12 in. extension tube and was able to mount the unit with a piece a starboard. I know I have sinned using starboard but it was quick and functional.

Rod

ok cool looking fwd to more installation pics, thanks!

Photos of Simrad Tiller Pilot TP-32 mounted to IDUNA’s tiller.

Fair Winds,

IDUNA

Tiller Pilot 4 as Smart Object-1.jpg

Tiller Pilot 5 as Smart Object-1.jpg

RE: IDUNA’s tiller pilot mounting

The dimension of the 1" thick starboard mount block are 2"W X 4"L. The three screws are #12 X 2" self-tapping stainless steel. The mounting block was cut with a table top saw and the edge radius was shaped with a block plane and sandpaper. It’s “cool” material to work but lacks the aesthetics of wood. Garolite LE (www.McMaster.com) would have been a better choice but I did not have any 1" thick stock.

Cool, thanks for the pics Rod… worth a thousand words x3.
But I have one question – where is your main sheet?

Ben:

You are welcome.

There are also no blocks on the taffrail and boom in the photo. I installed all the gear today and reeved the mainsheet through the refurbished blocks. Lenora applied three coast of “Varnish X” on the skylight window guards. Tomorrow, the two head sails will be “hanked” on their stays.

Next weekend, we set sail bound for Y.

R

wheres Y?