topping lift blocks

What size blocks do folks have for their topping lift? I would like to use a single/becket to a single and on to a turning block. The line from the blocks is 5/16 stay set. The line to the mast head is 1/4 high modulus. Thank you for your thoughts,

Tom
“Terrier”

We use a 1" sheaved block at the mast head. The topping lift line is 1/4" Roblon 3-strand. (Note: This line will be replaced with 1/4" 3-strand Dacron English Braid.)

IDUNA’s topping lift is rigged as follows:

The end is made fast to the end of the boom with an eye splice and shackle,

The topping lift is lead to the mast head and down.

About 7 ft above the deck, a small dinghy block is spiced into the end,

Another 1/4" 3-strand line is tied to the starboard pin rail which is lashed to fore and aft lower shrouds about 3 ft above the deck.

This second line is lead from the pin rail to the block spliced into the end of the topping lift then back to the pin rail where is made fast with a belaying pin.

This arrangement provides a 2-to-1 purchase for the topping lift. IDUNA’s boom is stouter than the boom on a SLM built boat and quite heavy. Lifting the boom was always struggle for Lenora. When I set the sails, I discovered how heavy the boom was, hence the reason for incorporating the purchase into the topping lift.

Cheers,

Rod
BCC IDUNA

Rod,
Thank you for your description and as usual clear enough to visualize. TERRIER’s boom is solid spruce and heavy as well. My setup ends on the fore part of the boom. I also need the extra purchase but wonder on what is an appropriate “safe working load” for the blocks to try to keep my costs down without sacrificing safety? The topping lift starts from the masthead and attaches to a shackled becket block. An eye splice on the becket goes to a shackled block on the boom end and back to the becket block then to a turning block on the boom and ending on the fore part of the boom. The blocks have all had their day (Schaefer) and I’m not sure of their size. Interestingly the bronze blocks (and sheaves) from PT Foundry are like new after 25 years!

Tom
TERRIER

Rod,
Thank you for your description and as usual clear enough to visualize. TERRIER’s boom is solid spruce and heavy as well. I also need the extra purchase but wonder on what is an appropriate “safe working load” for the blocks to try to keep my costs down without sacrificing safety? The topping lift (1/4 HMO) starts from the masthead and attaches to a shackled becket block. An eye splice (5/16 double braid) on the becket goes to a shackled block on the boom end and back to the becket block then to a turning block on the boom and ending on the fore part of the boom. The blocks have all had their day (Schaefer) and I’m not sure of their size. Interestingly the bronze blocks (and sheaves) from PT Foundry are like new after 25 years!

Tom
TERRIER

Tom:

Schaefer, Harken and Ronstan publish safe working loads for their blocks. As an example, a series 30 Ronstan ball bearing single block with becket has a safe working load of 660 lb and a breaking load of 1,650 lb. Ronstan’s series 30 blocks have a cheek plate width of 30 mm. None ball bearing blocks have a higher safe working load.

http://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=003

From your description, your topping lift has a 3-to-1 purchase. I have also considered increasing our topping lift purchase to 3-to-1. The reason IDUNA’s current topping lift purchase is 2-to-1 is because I had the block.

Fair Winds,

Rod

Harken Specifications:

http://www.harken.com/blocks/blockspecs.php

Schaefer Blocks:

http://schaeferhardware.com//blocks.aspx

Tom:

While Lenora and I were enjoying breakfast and discussing Terrier I remembered Schaefer will rebuild their blocks. We had two Schaefer fiddle blocks rebuilt for African Moon. Schaefer gave us an estimate. Compared to purchasing new blocks the cost was cheap. When the blocks were returned to us, they looked new. After that pleasant experience, we had them rebuild two other blocks for us.

Rod

Rod,
Thank you. I’ll contact Schaefer. On a similar note, Harken replaced my old foils at their cost.

Cheers,
Tom