Unnamed boat in the FC Gallery

The unnamed Falmouth Cutter in the FC gallery is Anne Marie, owned by George Ceolla of Sheboygan, Wisconsin. She is a custom finished boat from the Nor’Sea 22 line of FCs and was previously named Essence. An article about this boat appeared in the September 1984 issue of Cruising World magazine, describing how she came to her very elegant custom build.

Note that George Ceolla claims Anne Marie is hull number 7 of the Nor’Sea 22s. And J. Ramos claimed many years ago that his boat Hay Chihuahua is hull number 7 of the Nor’sea 22s. I have no record of a hull number 6 from those boats. Because I have actually had two way communications with George Ceolla, and not with J. Ramos, I tend to believe that Hay Chihuahua may actually be hull number 6. But perhaps the guys at Nor’sea couldn’t count. If anyone knows the answer to this mystery, please come forth.

George Ceolla cruised Anne Marie in the Sea of Cortez. Before doing so George prepared her by varnishing all that beautiful topside wood with 9 coats of varnish. I recall that he said it took him 80 hours of work per coat. Keep that in mind if you choose a bright finish for your FC’s exterior wood. Also, keep in mind that by the time George returned from the Sea, he needed to completely redo the varnish. But Anne Marie is a beautiful boat.

ron walton
editor: FC News

Many thanks, Ron:
I have renamed the album.

John Cole

Upon further perusal of the FC Gallery I have also noted that one boat appears twice. FC Angelsea and FC Elise are the same boat. Elise is the current name, given to her by owners Bob & Lois Plank. Angelsea was her original name, given to her by previous (first) owner Gary Felton and maintained by second owner Terry Hill.

Also, the boat Polaris Jack is not a Sam Morse Co. Falmouth Cutter. I think it is a Lyle Hess 26; it’s definitely a different and bigger boat than a Falmouth Cutter. Note the chainplates. A few of those boats were manufactured on the east coast. I don’t know what has happened with the builder.

I think it might be good to have a gallery of other Lyle Hess cutters. Such as the Renegade/Seraffyn class Lyle Hess 24s, the Lyle Hess 26, the Taleisin class Lyle Hess 30s, the Skye class Lyle Hess 32s, and the Lyle Hess 40 (if one is ever completed). Also the Lyle Hess 34 which is being built up in BC. But these boats should not be mistaken for Bristol Channel Cutters or Falmouth Cutters.

ron walton

Hi Ron:

Thanks for the updates and the FC Newsletter:

I have moved the images to their respective places: We do, indded have a spot for other Lyle Hess boats: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/gallery/otherboats

Regards
John

fcsailor Wrote:

The unnamed Falmouth Cutter in the FC gallery is
Anne Marie, owned by George Ceolla of Sheboygan,
Wisconsin. She is a custom finished boat from the
Nor’Sea 22 line of FCs and was previously named
Essence. An article about this boat appeared in
the September 1984 issue of Cruising World
magazine, describing how she came to her very
elegant custom build.

Note that George Ceolla claims Anne Marie is hull
number 7 of the Nor’Sea 22s. And J. Ramos claimed
many years ago that his boat Hay Chihuahua is hull
number 7 of the Nor’sea 22s. I have no record of
a hull number 6 from those boats. Because I have
actually had two way communications with George
Ceolla, and not with J. Ramos, I tend to believe
that Hay Chihuahua may actually be hull number 6.
But perhaps the guys at Nor’sea couldn’t count.
If anyone knows the answer to this mystery, please
come forth.

George Ceolla cruised Anne Marie in the Sea of
Cortez. Before doing so George prepared her by
varnishing all that beautiful topside wood with 9
coats of varnish. I recall that he said it took
him 80 hours of work per coat. Keep that in mind
if you choose a bright finish for your FC’s
exterior wood. Also, keep in mind that by the
time George returned from the Sea, he needed to
completely redo the varnish. But Anne Marie is a
beautiful boat.

ron walton

Try: gceolla@yahoo.com

ron walton

I have a custom gaff cutter, very much like a BC or FC, and would like to post photos of her on the “other designs” gallery section… how would I go about doing this? I can’t seem to log into the gallery sections.

sounds good, id like to see the pics.

ben@beneriksen.com

I’m afraid you can’t log in - but you can add images to the New Uploads section.

I know this is an old thread, but I ran across a picture of Anne Marie (Nor,Sea hull #7?) sitting on a trailer on a farm somewhere in Wisconsin. She had a for sale sign on her but I believe the photo is at least a year old. I know that her last owner George Ceolla passed away in 2011. I appreciated reading about the history of the boat and George, thanks for posting Ron! I was curious if anyone knew if she found a new home or if she is still for sale?
Thanks in advance.
Dave

the lyle hess 26 is actually a falmouth 26. i have the original drawings from lyle hess and the boat is identified at a falmouth 26. so it is not a misnomer. i have been told that is order to satisfy sam l morse since the 26 was produced and marketed by russell yachts and not sam l morse who was building the falmouth22 that russell would use the handle “lyle hess 26”

jo anne ross
s/v little pearl
falmouth 26-7