VINEGAR; A Cleanup Solvent for Epoxy

Vinegar is an excellent cleanup solvent for curing epoxy. This cleanup solvent should be used to clean equipment and hands. Once the equipment is free of epoxy, rinse it with water and let it dry. Residual vinegar left in or on the equipment will retard/stop the epoxy from curing.

Vinegar (5% acetic acid) stops the epoxy from curing by reacting with the amine hardner and making it water soluable, hence do not use vinegar to wipe down an area that is to be coated with epoxy.

If you decide to use vinegar, in the interest of safety, do not use a bottle of vinegar for food service once it has been used as a cleanup solvent, i.e. avoid cross contamination. I mark the container, “Use only for epoxy cleanup and not for food service.”

Rod
BCC IDUNA

White vinegar is an excellent cleaning chemical, we use it as Rod mentions for cleaning up uncured epoxy, we also use it to clean heads, kill mold and mildew, makes a good counter top sanitary cleaner. By all means once used as a cleaner, mark the bottle for “cleaning only”. Ingesting to much vinegar will only make your butt pucker, ingesting vinegar contaminated with epoxy may make your nuts shrivel among other things.

Marty

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: IDUNA
Username: IDUNA
Subject: VINEGAR; A Cleanup Solvent for Epoxy
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4057,4057#msg-4057

Vinegar is an excellent cleanup solvent for curing epoxy. This cleanup solvent should be used to clean equipment and hands. Once the equipment is free of epoxy, rinse it with water and let it dry. Residual vinegar left in or on the equipment will retard/stop the epoxy from curing.

Vinegar (5% acetic acid) stops the epoxy from curing by reacting with the amine hardner and making it water soluable, hence do not use vinegar to wipe down an area that is to be coated with epoxy.

If you decide to use vinegar, in the interest of safety, do not use a bottle of vinegar for food service once it has been used as a cleanup solvent, i.e. avoid cross contamination. I mark the container, “Use only for epoxy cleanup and not for food service.”

Rod
BCC IDUNA