Vinylester Resin - Barrier Coat

What year or hull number did Samual Morse start using Vinylester resins as a barrier coat in its layup process?

More specifically, how do I find out if Hull number 62 has it.

Todd Uecker at Cape George Yachts has the original documentation on all Sam L Morse builds. He could tell you if it was done on your BCC. He is a super nice guy and has helped me source some items I need for my refit.

1 Like

Thanks very much for that info!

What’s the best way to contact him?

Interesting question! I’d like to know this also, for Hull #60 in my case…

My best guess is that It would be 89 and later at the earliest.

360-385-3412 He usually answers or just leave a voicemail.

cgmw@olympus.net

1 Like

He did. Very nice fellow. Very helpful. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but…

Thank you.

Was Todd able to answer based on your hull number specifically (i.e. if the original owner requested it) or more general (i.e. after a certain hull number Sam started using barrier coat)? Hull #77 is very curious and I hate to bother Todd any more often than I already do! =)

Thanks!
Mike

He didn’t check the file on mine when on the phone but he doubted it very much. They didn’t start doing it until about six years later, around 1989. Then for a while only when asked.

For what it’s worth my boat was built with a barrier coat. After 10 years she developed a really bad case of gelcoat blisters, thousands but none in the glass… Her gel coat was removed and she was again barrier coated. As far as I can see she doesn’t have a single pimple on her. I have her hauled for long term storage, I don’t see any reason to add anything other than paint next time she goes in. If you are worried it’s a reasonably easy job although a bit labor intensive. Make sure her hull is dry when you do it or you will seal in the mositure.

1 Like

Did you ever figure out why your boat’s hull got blistered in the first place? Especially with the barrier coat.

I don’t know if this is fact or rumor but I was told they put a second layer of gelcoat and it didn’t cure properly.