Waht to upgrand my 7' Fatty Knees into a life raft

I have a Fatty Knees 7’ that has now sailing rigging (which I need to get as well,; mast, rigging and rudder. But I’m also looking for a kit of somekind that has the inflatable collar and cover. All ides would be appreiated.

John Curtiss,
Dulcine Hull #66

John: Hi!

You’ll find a couple of high-priced solutions, including from the ex-dentist who makes hypalon tubes. Any Internet search service will tell you about them.

But here’s the low-priced, multi-use solution, which doesn’t see you investing $BIG in something you’ll hopefully never use:

equip your BCC with center rope tube fenders - they’re the ones that don’t have lugs or eyes at the ends of the fender, to which fender whips are attached.

Center rope tube fenders have - as the name says - a tube down the center, through which you run your fender whip. All you have to do is equip your dinghy with some stainless steel eyes in the right places and make up some lines to strap the fenders to the dinghy sides.

For maximum assurance, you can even buy the Taylor Survivor fenders, which have a little pump handle built into the fender, so you can inflate the fender. Closed-cell foam fenders will probably work too.

Strapping fenders to your dinghy gives you lots of benefits: a great way of storing fenders while at sea; makes the dinghy stable for crew movement; and means your dinghy will always be welcomed when you visit another yacht. And you can choose colored fenders (no safety orange, but you’ll find cranberry and hunter green).

Cheers

Bil

If you can get a hold of one, the December 1995 issue of Cruising World has an article about how to convert a hard dinghy into a lifeboat. If you can’t get a hold of it, drop me a line (my screen name AT gmail DOT com) and I’ll send you a photocopy.

If you can get a hold of one, the December 1995 issue of Cruising World has an article about how to convert a hard dinghy into a lifeboat. If you can’t get a hold of it, drop me a line (my screen name AT gmail DOT com) and I’ll send you a photocopy.

Has anyone installed or had experience with the Walker Bay inflateable tube collar ?

I did have an 8" inflateable collar of hypalon made for my 7’ Fatty Nees, but the attachment to the dinghy was not so good , being 5/16" lines tied to tab gromets on the tube and eyes on the gunnel.

I was amazed that when the collar was mounted and inflated, and the dinghy was upside down in it’s chocks, it didn’t cause any additional deck obstruction .

I was also surprised that in the water, with the tube mounted and inflated it became very hard to capsize it, similar stability to a Zodiac , but without the tendancy to go airborn in gusty winds .

I did have a light weight orange canopy made for it by Bob Baltiera , that wraped over and around the tubes, 3 sail battens provided arch supports , but I don’t have any photos of it deployed .

I modifyed the seat to allow me to fully lay down, fore and aft too . All in all, it really did give me the feel of having a second chance, if my BCC sank.

This is a great idea. I have an Eastport Nesting Pram. I was thinking about running rope around the rails to provide some cushion. Now I’m thinking that attaching fenders around the edges does that and more. For all the reasons you state. Thanks!