Watch Seat / Storage Box

Hi Skippers, This is Mike Anderson, owner of “Tansy Lee” and AndersonBoatworks.com.

Thanks for the nice responses regarding last months project, the Belaying Pins, I’ve been busy filling orders for a few of you.

This months feature project is a Watch Seat. Ken Banks owner of BCC hull #114 - “Solimar,” commissioned me to build this Companionway Watch Seat / Storage Box to his design. I’ve built watch seats before but this was the first that incorporated a large storage area that would rest on the bridge deck fully cushioned.

It is wedge cleated into the bottom of the drop board holders making it rigidly solid yet fast and easy to remove.There’s no need for hardware or barrel bolts…none required!. It has a shelf inside and is padded from the deck by 1/4" mushroom shaped gasket let into the bottom ends and other areas… so no chafe here at all.

This removable seat / box measures 13/16 this thick seat with the width of the companionway and 8-10 inches deep, with no overhang inboard. There’s plenty of room for items like handheld radio, binoculars, GPS, folded charts, gloves, sheet winch handles, gasket lines, water bottles, food , etc. See attachment.

This accessory can be built for the Falmouth Cutter and other boats having a bridge deck as well. Nothing wrong with a comfortable watch seat and easy reach for stowed gear to make sailing easier.

E-mail me for more specifics or just let me know what you think,

Mike ...Mav5252@aol.com

Mike, did you build the companion way seat for Shanti? I always use to sit in the companionway on Angelsea and was pleasently surprised when I found this seat that fit right in the campanion way. A lot more comfortable than the narrow sill.
I like that idea about the storage box.
Good job!