wood type

What is the type of wood used for the combings/bulwarks/toe rail on the sides of the FC? Teak?

I believe it is Honduran mahogany.

Best,
Peter
FC22 Puffin #23

What’s the best way to maintain this exterior wood? Is it prone to rot if left untreated?

On my FC, hull #25, the wood covering board, cap rails, boom kin, and the wood at the shear line are all teak. The wood toe rail, which is bolted to the covering board, and spans from the bow end of the cabin to the aft end is white oak. You can tell if yours is white oak if when it begins to rot it turns black, as mine did at the carriage bolt heads where water would puddle. From what I have read newer hulls than mine used Honduran Mahogany in lieu of the teak on mine. As far as the best product to use on the wood to preserve it and make it look amazing there is only one thing to use: Allwood Clear Gloss. I just purchased my FC22 and stripped, sanded, and refinished almost ALL the exterior wood using this product and the results are amazing. You have to strip the wood down to bare, sand no finer than 120 grit, and apply either the mahogany Allwood primer or teak yellow Allwood primer, which is a stain and forms a chemical bond to the wood. Then apply Allwood clear gloss with a solvent resistant roller and foam solvent resistant brushes. You can overcoat several times in a day depending on temperature. You won’t believe the results! I am convinced I own the sexiest FC on the water! This product just came out in 2014 and only the pros are using it because no one is familiar with it. Varnish is dead!

Any chance you can post some pictures showing the results of Allwood Clear on your FC?

Absolutely.

Absolutely.

I am having a little trouble attaching photos but there should be some attached here.

Thank you - she’s beautiful! Any close up shots of the Allwood Clear Gloss?

Some more photos using Allwood on teak.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg