Yanmar 3YM30 Oil Filter Access

I have a new 3YM30 Yanmar in an older BCC. Having the water pump on the fan belt end of the engine is very convient but having the oil filter on the port side makes changing the filter danged near impossible.

I’m curious if anyone here has installed a remote oil filter and if so if they have any advice about installing one ?

Thank you,

Baba

there is a plastic fitting that slides over the filter, its like a giant socket. Built into the tail end of the plastic housing is a square drive for socket wrench. Its works an absolute treat. One can simply screw the filter on by hand and use the ratchet on the skt for the final tightening. I experienced the same story with access and played with all kinds of metal strap wrenches to no avail. You can buy the plastic tool at most auto part places. Good luck.

I have always thought that access to the port-side of Zygote’s Yanmar 3GM30F was quite acceptable (our first Zygote had better engine access, but I’ve been on larger cruisers with less engine room access than a BCC).

Stewart Wrote:

there is a plastic fitting that slides over the
filter, its like a giant socket. Built into the
tail end of the plastic housing is a square drive
for socket wrench. Its works an absolute treat.
One can simply screw the filter on by hand and use
the ratchet on the skt for the final tightening. I

Good luck with that, Stewart! Zygote has a couple of those oil filter giant sockets. Outside the US, original Yanmar oil filters are not constant in dimension, but YMMV while state-side. My most recent oil filter, bought early 2013, was the most compact I’ve seen: I double checked the part number before paying for it (I figure the efficiency experts have worked on it).

experienced the same story with access and played
with all kinds of metal strap wrenches to no
avail.

Zygote has a small suite of strap wrenches (with rubberized fabric straps) and metal oil-filter wrenches. One or other has always done the job. My favorite for removing a filter has a square socket drive and, on the other end, three jaws that move inwards and grip the filter.

For removing an oil filter, but only in extremis, remember you can always hammer a screwdriver thru the oil filter and spin it off. A baby diaper does great work of absorbing any oil spills.

Bil

Like Bil, I have found the rubberized strap wrench works great. If you are trying for more bite than it will give you, you are over tightening the filter. I bought a stack of paper fiber soak-um-up pads from Jamestown Distributors for not much…are critical to keeping oil off the deck and your sanity…just put a half one under the filter before loosening…Tom

Thanks Tom,

But in fact the problem is not that I can’t unscrew the filter. Not at all. The problem is simply one of space. It may be that the 3GM30 has lot of space but on my boat with the 3YN30 there is very little space. Unless I use a mirror I can’t even SEE the filter from the front of the engine . From the front of the engine it’s almost impossible to even TOUCH the filter. To get a wrench on the filter I need to crawl deep into the engine compartment and reach the filter from around the back of the engine.

So by crawling around to the back of the engine I can remove the filter just fine. But that ain’t fun, especially when the engine is hot as it should be to change the oil & filter.

That’s why I asked if anyone had any experience with a remote oil filter.

Thanks !

Baba

Baba:

Here’s an image of the 3 jaw oil filter wrench I use to remove oil filters.

I don’t recommend using it when installing a new oil filter, because it might: (1) encourage over-tightening the oil filter; and (2) mechanically distort the filter.

You should be able to find one at your local auto parts store. Or on-line. (late addition) Point your browser to: http://www.otctools.com/products/2-way_oil_filter_wrench_3_prong

Cheers

Bil

3 jaw oil filter wrench.jpg

Hello All. Resurrecting this old thread about the arrangement of things in the engine room for boats that have been repowered with the Yanmar 3YM30. Mischief was repowered with a 3YM30 by the previous owner around 2003. Mischief has the wet locker to starboard. The yard that did the install put a remote oil filter kit in and mounted the engine oil filter in the wet locker. I think this makes the wet locker pretty much unusable. I’m considering just doing away with the wet locker and widening the engine room all the way to the quarterberth - and widening the opening engine panel as well. That would make access to the starboard side of the engine - and oil filter (without the remote kit) easy. The upper part of the wet locker could be turned into a cabinet - for nav gear or a pantry. I’d also like to make the counter above the engine removable - as it is on Calypso. It makes engine maintenance so much easier.

Wondering what other BCC owners have done - particularly those who have the wet locker and repowered with a 3YM30.

Overall arrangement. Racor and coolant header tank to port. Remote oil filter, engine intake through hull, and old raymarine sounder blackbox in the wet locker:

The challenging access to the SB side of the engine. The yard that installed the engine cut a ~ 8x8" hole into the bottom of the wet locker:

The wet locker with the remote oil filter kit and raymaine depth sounder kit: