Beauty and Solitude of Sail

Ben,
Just got back from a trip and saw this pic…wow I added it as a screen saver. Guess we’ll have to catch more water shots. Thanks
Wayne

Lenora and I enjoyed an evening sail last night. We sailed for 3.5 hours on the Patapsco River which leads into Baltimore’s two harbors. Winds were 8-10 mph estimated. Once the sun was within about 1 hour of the horizon, the night air became cool. Very few powerboats or sailboats were out on this lovely evening. It was a relaxed sail and I believe we would have loved to sail all night but land life required us to sail back to our marina. On the sail home, I took this photo just before twilight sweep over the water. Because our Channel Cutters set so much sail air, we experienced 4 to 6 knots speed (SOG) the whole evening. Very few boats can sail in these light air conditions at these speeds without setting a large light air sail.

The only thing missing from this scene was several other sisterships sailing in company with IDUNA.

Cheers,

Rod

A little foggy this summer morning…

Imgur

Ben:

Great Shoot. Your photos are a great inspiration for me.

Went sailing last night. It was so humid, we were able to sail with the keel just skimming the surface of the water :slight_smile:

Summer on SF Bay

Summer on SF Bay

7034_640385739975_29403380_36926517_528395_n.jpg

SWEEET Pic Wayne - got it any larger?

Wayne, the photo is dramatic. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Landfall at dawn, Cabo San Lucas, 1996, after a very, very long night involving a collision with a 26’ cat, the Amon-Re.

Todd

For all us lovers of pilot cutters!
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/classic-sailing/sets/72157606177816170/

Enjoy

Great photos Gary !

The Polly Agatha is a new boat, built by Cockwells in Mylor, Cornwall.
She was built using the precise lines taken from an original Bristol pilot cutter called the Peggy, built in 1904.
I was privileged to meet the owners of the Peggy in Helford Passage in Cornwall in 1976, and sailed on her into a building force 7 off the Lizard, heading for the Scilly isles.

Despite the fact that the skipper decided to return to Mylor that night, it was an exciting trip, and one of my first offshore sailing experiences.

She is a wonderful boat and is still sailing and competing in the classic races.
I was sad not to see her among the others this time.

Great photos Gary !

The Polly Agatha like a few of the others shown is a new boat, built by Cockwells in Mylor, Cornwall.
She was built using the precise lines taken from an original Bristol pilot cutter called the Peggy, built in 1904.

I was privileged to meet the owners of the Peggy in Helford Passage in Cornwall in 1976, and sailed on her into a building force 7 off the Lizard, heading for the Scilly isles.

Despite the fact that the skipper decided to return to Mylor that night, it was an exciting trip, and one of my first offshore sailing experiences.

She is a wonderful boat and is still sailing and competing in the classic races.
I was sad not to see her among the others this time.

http://www.cockwells.co.uk/pollyagatha-gallery05.html

Leaving San Francisco Bay for warmer delta waters.

Lovely shot Wayne.

Nice shot of a BCC doing what they were designed to do.

yeah, i missed that post – that is ineed a… “GREAT SHOT KID, one in a million”

Looking back towards Zighy Bay in the Mussandam, Oman.