Maine Cruising

Hull 126 has been named Stravaigin. It is our plan to sail Maine this summer and we hope to launch late June. There will of course be bubbly involved and the usual ceremony. Following that my wife and I will set sail around Maine for 4-5 weeks and would be interested to hear from anyone re best places to go, weather advice, bugs, hazards etc.

Needless to say we are very excited about this commissioning of the boat and would be delighted to meet other BCC owners. I guess it will take a few weeks to iron out the details and the learning curve may be steep, for sure its going to be fun.

The launch will take place in Camden and anyone in attendance will be well received, ie you get some bubbly.

Kudos,Stewart. Hope to see some christening party photos on your blog.

I will try to be there, depending on the date. I look forward to meeting you all and seeing your new boat! I’m sure you will get lots of advice on where to go in Maine, I’d be happy to share places that I’ve enjoyed. You can’t go too far wrong around here, it’s all beautiful, lots of anchorages, not too many boats particularly down east past Bar Harbor, and there is usually good wind. Maybe we can plan the Maine Hess Rendezvous around your launch time.
Jonathan

Going to try and get up there for it too!

There are 3 BCCs in Belfast Maine.
There are 2 BCCs in Kittery Maine (Portsmouth, NH).

You might plan a trip around both destinations. If I know you are expected, I’ll arrange to have the boat nearby.

Craig Lund
BCC #95
Home port Durham, NH (up river from Kittery).

And one in Marthas Vineyard… a mere 36 hrs away :wink:

we shall be "feeling our way " around in the new boat, NH is quite a bit south and of course Belfast in the North. I would love to give more definate plans but not sure exactly when the boat will get in the water, and of course assuming there are no bugs… I will try to keep our itinerary posted and see how that goes with everyone else. Thanks for the interest.

Anyone want to propose a date and location for the third annual Hess Rendezvous? Is Penobscot Bay still good? Stewart do you have a launch date yet? Are any of the non Maine boats planing a trip to Maine this summer that we should try to plan around?

Not sure I can make it now – pretty tied up here in MArtha’s Vineyard sailing Schooner Valora. I hope to make it up in September.

Well everyone, here"s the scoop.

Arrived in Camden about a week ago, and its been crazy, was offered a launch date a few days after the arrival, then the night before, and as the builder was leaving for amonth for vacation, took it. My wife and I are down here for about five weeks more and we would love to meet other hearty BCCers, compare boats and get lots of tips from everyone. I am sorry I could not give more notice to folks, but once we were on the slope there was no stopping. I hope you will all be impressed.

I did not realise that splashing a boat would be so busy and we have been doing 16 hour days for weeks now. Had the usual hiccups, trying to get a diesel stove working a few electrical issues and of course plumbing. All is coming together and if all goes to plan we intend to get out on the bay tomorrow. We don’t have internet access here so communication is an issue, however my cell is 1 709 728 8116 and I will check my email where ever and when ever I can. Presently in Camden public library.

Some time before the 25th would be best as we have to pick some folks up in Portland. This is always assuming there aren’t any technical problems…we also have to learn how to sail this baby… actually her foresail broke out before she was launched, that was how eager she was to make the water. No pix as I don’t have any software to download to.

If you have images in your camera and can connect the camera to your computer, start an e-mail to jcole@coledata.com and then select “Attach file”.

Look for the removable drive, probably your camera’s name, and e-mail them to me.

I will then deal with it.

Oooh very exciting Stewart! Public Library is good internet… know it well :slight_smile: Say hi to the Lewis R French just across the road for me. Wish I could be there. Perhaps by car again this time, wont have time to get Elizabeth up to Maine till September. Keep me posted if a rendezvous happens, that I could get to by car.

Somebody needs to toss out a time and place.
I can make almost anything people are likely to suggest between Boston and Canada.

Craig

How about some time during the last three weeks of August in Penobscot Bay, maybe over by the White Islands, or by Butter and Barred Islands, or else back to Merchants Row? Ben if you need a boat to crew on to get from Belfast to the rendevous I will have plenty of room, Chris will not be going as she is back on call by then. If that is too late than maybe July 17th - 18th same area unless we want to try some place more exciting like Matinicus if the weather allows.
Jonathan

I already have July 17/18 and August 27-31 blocked off in my calendar for undefined sailing trips. Thus either period would be convenient. However, as I said before, I can pull off almost any date.

Of the places you mentioned, White and Matinicus are closest to me. We could meet at White and then travel as a group to Matinicus if the weather is good.

Craig

we are presently in Isle au haut and will likely head north, communication is still a problem as we are out of cell range and email is hard, thoroughly enjoying the cruising and the weather, Somewhere up near mount desert, I’ll check my email tomorrow morning and see if we can finalize, it would be great to get some feedback on the boat and advice…

Hi Stewart,
Dottie and I and Itchen are open to any rendezvous location within a day or two of Belfast, subject to all the usual uncertainties of weather and personal schedules. We’ve been thinking of a cruise towards Great Wass or Roque sometime in August, so any location between Belfast and Roque could be a possibility. We do best on spur of the moment planning so will just stand by and see what materializes. You mention “feedback on the boat” – any specific issues?
Regards,
Scott

Stewart Wrote:

we are presently in Isle au haut and will likely
head north, communication is still a problem as we
are out of cell range and email is hard,
thoroughly enjoying the cruising and the weather,
Somewhere up near mount desert, I’ll check my
email tomorrow morning and see if we can finalize,
it would be great to get some feedback on the boat
and advice…

ok thats great I shall keep in touch off to Stonington today and see what happens.

we are presently in NE harbor Acadia Nat Park and will be for the next couple of days. Got a window in the fog and escaped and then in closed in big time. One thing you guys do well is fog, and I live off the grand banks. Thank goodness for electronics. Anyway it was a trip with zero vis thru Bass Hbr pass with fishing boats n all whooshing by. Any up date I’ll try to check my mail tomorrow

I’ve moved Talaris up to sit up near Boothbay through August. My journey to a potential meetup is thereby shortened.

Craig