Sam L Morse Out of Business?

I ran across this in another forum:

Any truth to this? Are the molds really destroyed?

I suspect that this could possibly be 3rd page news in the “Enquirer”.

We all know that SLM relies on individual orders, and in times of economic downturn (Such as we are now seeing) the Company is extremely vulnerable, the molds (In English “Moulds”) are the most valuable assets,besides the personnel, that the company has.

I believe, if the Company were to close, you might read it here first.

Nearly thirty years and it comes to an end for $50,000? That hardly seems fair for a company that just “kept going”. An ounce of me says “buy it as an investment and once the company is making money again, it’ll be worth it!” But in the days of standard cruising boats being 45+ feet, with jacuzzi and all, it just doesn’t make sense. There’s no money to be made in the small, high quality, custom sailboat market.

And so the Hunters win.

Best of luck to whomever sets out on the quest to rebuild the Sam L. Morse Company, in whatever form it may take.

Fair leads,
Aaron Norlund

It is true. Sumio has folded up.
The molds have not been destroyed yet but they will be. Sadly Sam L Morse Company has been an expensive exercise for Sumio. He is a great guy who loves the BCC but it may be that the world is not ready for a $350,000 28ft boat
Jim

What sad news indeed. Seems like there must at least be a place for the molds to go out to pasture until the time is right again. If I had 50k I’d stick them out under the trees behind my house and just go visit them once in a while. I dreamed and waited 25 years since I visited Sam Morse in the late 70’s for a used one to get in my price range. It somehow diminishes the world to see quality fail.
Ron Downing
Morning Star

It also occurs to me that this forum will close down at some point. Does anyone have the ability to transfer all the archives to a new place so they won’t be lost? A treasure trove of information in there.

There is no need for the forum to close down, but somehow users will need to meet the standing costs.

Would it be unreasonable if I asked for contributions?

Very reasonable to contribute to this sites maintainance. It will become very important as time goes by that we have a place to locate parts and obtain information about our beloved BCC’s !
Jim Hiller

Count me in, can’t be that much
Ron Downing
Morning Star

jhiller Wrote:

but it may be that the world is not ready for a $350,000 28ft boat
Jim

Hi Jim,
Yes, but “the world” thinks nothing of paying $350,000 or more for an old-master violin or restored old harpsichord or other usable and artistic object that could actually be purchased for a tenth of the sale price from a competent builder of reproductions. So for that small corner of the yachting world able to afford an expensive yacht, it seems more a matter of lack of desire than lack of ability that stops them from laying out $350,000 for a 28-footer. Even though that 28-footer is in every important sailing characteristic - for cruising, not racing - equal or better than most modern 35-footers.

Having spent some time over the years cruising, racing and day sailing a variety of other craft, Beneteau O40, Tartan 10, C&C 29, Victoria 34, J-40, there is not a one of them that I would rather be in offshore or waiting out a three day norther in some anchorage than our “little” BCC. All are fine boats for their intended purpose but for extended cruising for one or two people the BCC is solid, fun to sail and just as importantly to us, surrounds us with an aesthetically pleasing space. Since there is nothing particularly practical about the desire to go off sailing in small boats, for us aesthetics is right up there with safety.

There just are not many modern boat buyers willing to pay a premium for the amount of meticulous hand craftsmanship and all the weight of material needed to produce a yacht of the quality of a BCC. And most purchasers expect a lot of bells and whistles that were unknown on yachts fifty years ago, and that ramps up the expense considerably. I know nothing of the real cost of modern boatshop operation but fixed costs for insurance, rent, etc must be way out of proportion for shops which only turn out a few boats a year. I wonder what it would cost to produce a BCC with everything structurally as sound as the present model but with plain painted finish, galvanized fittings – and no bells and whistles beyond whatever the owner chose to pick up at the nearest marine flea market?

Ok, never mind, just dreaming . . . but ?

Scott

John Cole Wrote:

There is no need for the forum to close down, but
somehow users will need to meet the standing
costs.

Would it be unreasonable if I asked for
contributions?

John Cole

Makes sense to me, let us know what it might take.
Regards,
Scott

I would be happy to contribute to support of the site. Let us know what the costs might be John.
How about more detail. What has generated all this certainty that the molds are being destroyed?

I would be happy to contribute to support of the site. Let us know what the costs might be John.
How about more detail. What has generated all this certainty that the molds are being destroyed?

Tom,
Check my original reference

and I quote: “…Sadly the company is now gone and the molds destroyed…” That is what prompted me to ask.

John Verlinden

I estimate that the forum and gallery would cost about $700 a year. The primary elements are:

Domain name retention: $75.00 every 3 years
Hosting service: $325 Annually
Provision for software and security updates: $350

One problem we may face is retaining the domain name www.samlmorse.com as Sumio intends to retain the business. We may have to register and use www.samlmorse.net

The problem I forsee is that although there are approximately 130 registered users of the forum (producing an average of 20,000 visits pe month), there are probably only 20 or 30 that use it regularly, and therefore consider it has a value.

Is it reasonable that a few should ante up for the site that others use, or should we set a fee per user?

Guys: It’s your call. I will do whatever I can to keep the forum alive, but I can’t do it without your help and guidance. Ultimately you will end up as the owners of the site, and therefore must have a say in how it is conducted.

Regards
John

I was the person who posted that on SA. I had spoken with Sumio earlier that day and was told that his intention was to destroy them quickly. He is very concerned about ruining the legacy by having molds fall into wrong hands.
Jim

John,
I have found the site to be of tremendous help. Having a user fee may be the more equitable. I would greatly regret loosing this resource.

Tom Winkler
Terrier

jhiller Wrote:

I was the person who posted that on SA. I had
spoken with Sumio earlier that day and was told
that his intention was to destroy them quickly. He
is very concerned about ruining the legacy by
having molds fall into wrong hands.
Jim

That seems like such a shame though. The right person could do wonders with the molds. A revamped marketing strategy, a double take on the manufacturing process, and just plane “new blood” could likely once again establish the BCC/FC niche in the market. The money is out there, but the people aren’t convinced they want to spend it.

Of course, that’s easy to say when you haven’t been part of a spiraling industry, but rarely are businesses so ill-founded that they simply CAN NOT work.

Besides, what is with the advertisement for the molds/plans/rights for a set price?

Fair leads,
Aaron N.

Gosh $700 sounds like more than necessary. I wonder if it could be done using a host like I use z3.com which is $150/yr, the tech is very helpful and it has built in phpBB2 forum software and updates and free domain name. It would just be a matter of getting the forum transferred? That’s probably the hard part since it may be a different script from the public ones. I’m no server guru but thought I’d throw this out there for someone more knowledgeable.