Maine Rendezvous 2009

Oh, I’m also still liking the idea of heading further east if anyone else is up for it. I’m not going home till I make it at least as far as Jonesport.

(Finally raining here - Elizabeth needs a fresh water rinse desperately)

So… this still happening? Itchen and Dawn B you guys out there?

Dottie and I are still planning to head for Long Cove on Itchen to arrive on the 5th and then work our way up towards Roque with a stop at Mistake Island and Mud Hole/Great Wass and or other points between as suits our mood and the weather. We can be flexible on the starting date and don’t want to be too rigid on the details, but pretty much take it as it goes and spend some time gunkholing the area east of Schoodic.

We may try to find a place leave the boat east of Schoodic for a few days (we have to be home for a day or two around the 11th), and then return to bring her back to Belfast the next week.
Scott

I think the 5th still works for me and Chris, I will try to get to Long Cove, if not then I’ll try catching up with the Armada further down east.
Jonathan

OK great… we’re all still in… it’s approaching faster than I thought. As always, Memorial Day rolls into late August so fast, and here we are facing another season of “Back To School” sales.

With my plans to head south this fall, Not sure how leisurely I can be with sailing down east, but I plan to give it my best… and Jonesport is in the cards still.

Looking forward to it!

Ok here’s my latest schedule…

Leaving MV Sept 1, singlehanded, so I’ll be hopping up the coast, looking to make Portland/Casco by the 3rd… a very aggressive schedule considering the preliminary forecast is for light easterly’s & northerly’s after Danny blows thru. I might have to go all night one of those days under power.

I’m going to head to Lamoine (Frenchman Bay) after the gtg to meet up with some friends for my B-day party (7th) Then, after that I’m threatening to head further east - Jonesport or Bust! Then home ASAP to prep for Oct. 1 departure for points south.

So, I’ll be around Casco/Boothbay at some point Clund before the 5th… hopefully we can meet up and head to the rendezvous, but no guarantees :wink:

forecast: NE winds 5-10 - oi vey!

Here is my float plan for the rendezvous …

I’ll be singlehanding it. The wind forecast for Wednesday and Thursday is for around 10 knots from the S and SW – great for getting there.

Leaving Portsmouth on Wednesday (September 2). It takes me about two hours to motor out the river and the tide is against me until 11 AM. Thus I’ll probably be in the ocean at “lunch”. It is 36 nm to Richmond Island / Seal Cove which I hope to make before dark by motor sailing.

From Richmond (Cape Elizabeth) it is about 50 nm to Long Cove. Thus I could make it on Thursday. However, I’m more likely to see how far sailing brings me, stopping maybe in Muncongus somewhere.

I want to be in Long Cove for Friday night since last year I experienced a technical hiccup just a few miles short of the rendezvous point. Planning to arrive early should allow me to make it if something else breaks this year.

I have no plans for after the rendevous. I will need to get back by the 13th. I can read this forum while underway on an iPhone.

Craig
Talaris

Well I hate to say it, but I think I’m going to have to cancel my trip up to Maine via boat. The timing, the winds and my pops are making it seem a little unwise to head up with the boat now. NE forecast all week, and a tight schedule, I think It’s just going to be a motorboat ride the entire way.

What I wondered is, if I could meet up with you guys on the 5th via car, and someone dinghy me out for the party?

Ben:

As you know boat trips and scheduled never work well together. We have discovered this too many times the hard way. Someday we may learn “boating plans are cast in jello.”

Considering the progress you made with Elizabeth and all you accomplished in about one year, you have every right to stand proud for your achievements. Personally, I think you are making the right decision considering you still need to prepare for your fall trip regardless of the destination - bound for destinations unknown.

The term “bound for” is so meaningful when we talk about sail. We do not "sail to a destination nor are we headed to a port. When we talk about passagemaking be are so dependent on the wind and weather, hence the term “bound for” implies we are going in that general direction. It do not mean we shall make our port but only bound for our port. We should use this term more in a sailing lexicon.

Fair Wind Shipmate,

IDUNA

Who is planing to be at the event?

August Dame – ?
Dawn B. – ?
Elizabeth – Joining by car and dinghy
Goose – Not attending
Itchen – ?
Osprey – ?
Talaris – Heading out tomorrow to get there

One boat I know won’t be there - August Dame, boat is back in MD I think. I’m going to try and get a life size poster made of Elizabeth to bring…

August Dame – Not attending
Dawn B. – ?
Goose – Not attending
Itchen – ?
Osprey – ?

Hi Folks,
I am trying to get out of work obligations to get to the rendezvous but have not managed to yet. Chris is still on call for a couple of baybies so she is questionable as well, we will have to play it by ear and hope we both get free, possibly trying to meet Sunday, maybe sailing at night, we will let you all know what happens.
Jonathan

Ok, here’s Itchen’s update. We plan to leave Belfast as early on Saturday as we can get away, maybe in convoy with Dawn B and get to Long Cove late or else break the sail enroute and arrive in Long Cove sometime Sunday morning. We can’t leave Friday because of local committments and want to fit-in with Jonathan and Chris’s schedule as much as possible. But, in any event - weather permitting – we will be in Long Cove late Saturday or early Sunday. We have to be back home by Sept. 10 which rules out a relaxed cruise to Roque Is. so will just gunkhole around the area south (west?) of Schoodic or Great Wass as fits our and other’s preferences.
I tried to reach Bennett/Osprey without success – but his boat is on it’s mooring here so I would not rule out his showing up, likelyhood unknown.

Weather here has been glorious and still looks good through the weekend. We drove by Long Cove to Port Clyde today with visiting friends and had a nice meal at the Farmer’s Restaurant in Tenants Harbor.

Here’s another thought. If Craig/Talaris makes it to Penobscot Bay before the weekend, why not just keep on going to Belfast and we can have a “Pre-Rendezvous” here, enjoy local hospitality and then head off in whatever direction makes sense and make sure that Ben E. joins up here or en route wherever makes sense.

Bottom line is that Itchen is flexible re date and destination between Sunday and Thursday.

benjiwoodboat Wrote:

One boat I know won’t be there - August Dame, boat
is back in MD I think. I’m going to try and get a
life size poster made of Elizabeth to bring…

August Dame – Not attending
Dawn B. – ?
Goose – Not attending
Itchen – ?
Osprey – ?

Ben Eriksen
BCC #91 Elizabeth

Web Design | BCC Elizabeth

Would moving the meet-up point help reduce the uncertainity we are seeing on this list? For example, I have time to sail Talaris up to Belfast by Saturday afternoon.

I’ll watch this list and follow whatever “decision” is reached. By “decision” I really mean one person stepping up to say “I’d love it if …”.

I’m not sure that I can post to this list from an iPhone. Just be confident I’m reading it.

I am packed up and will walk down to the boat as soon as I stop typing. If I see no response I’ll be in Long Cove before Saturday.

Craig

I just got off the phone with Bennett and he and Osprey will join us. Here is our suggested change of plans. We begin the rendezvous in Belfast whenever Craig arrives in Belfast and hope that Ben can drive here instead of Long Cove. Bennett and Itchen are available for shoreside or on the water activities after Friday afternoon and Jonathan probably by late Saturday. From Sunday onwards we can sail on to any destination which suits the group and the wind direction. In haste, hoping that Craig reads this in time,
Scott

clund Wrote:

Would moving the meet-up point help reduce the
uncertainity we are seeing on this list? For
example, I have time to sail Talaris up to Belfast
by Saturday afternoon.

I’ll watch this list and follow whatever
“decision” is reached. By “decision” I really mean
one person stepping up to say “I’d love it if
…”.

I’m not sure that I can post to this list from an
iPhone. Just be confident I’m reading it.

I am packed up and will walk down to the boat as
soon as I stop typing. If I see no response I’ll
be in Long Cove before Saturday.

Craig

I can make it to wherever. Anybody feel like letting me crash on their deck or in their forepeak for the night? Just let me know where to be and when and I’ll be there.

My cell FWIW (Maine reception is always spotty for me): 631-463-6904 - maybe i should bring my handheld VHF :wink:

-Ben

Hi all,
Belfast would be a big help for us. Thanks for the flexability the group has shown. We will be there as early Saturday afternoon as we can manage. Ben, if you need a boat to stay on you are welcome on ours, if you want to crash at our farm on Friday evening let us know.
Jonathan

Thanks to Scott and Jonathon for the hospitality offers. I’ll be arriving early afternoon on Saturday for the festivities in Belfast, spend the night, then watch you all head off Sunday AM, after which I’ll drive my way north to Lamoine for a birthday pizza party.

Message received. Where do you suggest I anchor or reserve a mooring/slip in Belfast for Saturday night? It is a holiday weekend.

Craig